Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it?

Here we have the CUPRA Formentor VZN.  What is likely to be the mid-life “end of run” model before we see the facelift revealed, which is currently expected in 2024.

Described as a limited edition, It is essentially the VZ3 mode with more styling options and trim.   It is only available with the 2.0 TSI 310PS DSG-auto 4Drive powertrain.

The model we have for review is in Mountain Green, which is an exclusive colour to the limited edition VZN.

Priced from £48,270 OTR (the VZ3 is £47,515), CUPRA declares this has “enhanced styling and racing look with 19-inch matte black alloys and detailing, black Dinamica bucket seats and a panoramic sunroof.”

So what do we think of this limited edition version, does it deserve the price premium as the most expensive Formentor in the UK? Read on to find out.

Verdict
The CUPRA Formentor with some cosmetic upgrades as an outgoing pre-facelift model. Recommended if you’ve got the cash to burn and want some...

Continue reading...

Reactions: nelly201

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
I would not worry too much about the brakes. The Brembo callipers are matted to SHW rotors that were introduced to the year 2009 TTRS 8J which weighs less by 300 kilos. Most of the Formentor brake related problems are related to the so-called "Brembo" set-up (with the SHW rotors). I also went through the brakes pain, the dealship even acknowledged that there is a TPI on Brembo calipers and also replaced my rotors. At the end of the day I decided to upgrade to DBA 2 piece rotors. Thank God this was a bolt on possibility because of the Brembo callipers though.

Reactions: jcbmally and Syphon

Jimbo

Jul 19, 2023
I have a 310 vz2 and a cupra 300, agree on throttle response and gearing i much prefer driving the cupra, you can really ring the power out through the entire band and the brakes on that are savage compared to the formentor which at times feels scarily underbraked for a car of its weight.

Reactions: jcbmally and Syphon

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
I have the VZN and the non Brembo brakes are fine but there are many other discs/pads available for not a lot of money, I`m also about to change a RaceChips tuning box which I had on my 190 bhp V2 the charge is £100 to have it reprogrammed to suit the VZN and a 63 bhp increase with improved fuel consumption so getting on for 370 bhp, once fitted then depending on the OE brakes to cope then I may consider the best brake change over the OE set up.

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
I have noticed a few VZN`s advertised include the Virtual pedal and electric tailgate but is that supposed to be standard as mine hasn`t got that unless it was an option I didn`t know about!

• Sad
Reactions: Syphon

KJA

Feb 18, 2024
South East England
I have noticed a few VZN`s advertised include the Virtual pedal and electric tailgate but is that supposed to be standard as mine hasn`t got that unless it was an option I didn`t know about!
Don't understand?
You are saying you have to manually open and close the tailgate ?
Do you have keyless entry?
You should be able to open and close the tailgate using virtual pedal.
Or I completely misunderstood what you just wrote.

KJA

Feb 18, 2024
South East England
I think you need to check with your dealership.
I think lots of options are disabled when car is delivered new.
They do a PDI check and then enable all the features before handover to customer.
Atleast that's what I think.
When I first looked at my car in dealership before paying the deposit its keyless was disabled.

KJA

Feb 18, 2024
South East England
It is standard see the cupra VZN technology snap from website.
Screenshot_20240717_224712_Samsung Internet.jpg

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Or simply check if you have electric opening/closing of the tailgate; AFAIK if it's electric - the Virtual Pedal should be there.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Or simply check if you have electric opening/closing of the tailgate; AFAIK if it's electric - the Virtual Pedal should be there.
My 21plate VZ3 has electric tailgate open and close.

I've done the Hokey Cokey several times waving my foot under the back of the car and nothing happened.

Is that what it's all about?

• Haha
Reactions: Seriously?

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
I've done the Hokey Cokey several times waving my foot under the back of the car and nothing happened.
Make sure it's not disabled in the infotainment.
And it's not waving... see link to the other post:

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
I do have an electric tailgate and it is partly my fault after reading the owners handbook it seemed to me to be saying move your leg/foot over an area on the bumper to action the virtual pedal which I had tried before but nothing so I have just been using the key fob to open the tailgate, I assumed my car didn`t have the virtual pedal as some VZN`s for sale have descriptions that mention it and some don`t I just assumed my car didn`t have it but now after checking it on YouTube you just in effect place a single kick under the bumper and low and behold I have a virtual pedal it works!

In my defence my VZN is an ex Cupra UK approved car which I bought as it was virtually new but an approx` £15K saving but then I came across a VZN review by Auto Express and they had used my car and in the review they mentioned they thought a virtual pedal would have been good to have obviously they misinterpreted the handbook instruction as well!

Now to check if giving the sunroof control panel a kick makes it work properly!

• Haha
Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

KJA

Feb 18, 2024
South East England
Don't kick the sunroof control panel 🤣
Leave it alone till you book it under warranty for dealership to look at it.
By the way what is your driving pattern like you drive everyday and car battery is at its best?
Might be due to low usage and battery slightly low might be playing up with those electric gremlins you are observing.
For me I drive 3 days 90 miles each.
Rest of the days just run arounds.
So I think my car battery would be at its full charge.
So less issues.
But who knows.

Delanor

Aug 9, 2022
Go figure, it has been quite hot today and when I tried the Sunroof the Sunroof lady yelled at me it was "deactivated" then it worked perfectly - I think I know what the problem is with it - she doesn`t like me!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.