Cupra off the road

A9_SLU

A9 SLU
Nov 22, 2006
Portsmouth/Wiltshire
My Cupra is currently off the road and has been since September is there anything that I should do to stop things corroding? It is in a dry garage so I am hoping it will be ok.

Will it matter if the battery goes flat for a long period of time?

Also when I go back to drive it again in a couple of weeks are there any precautions that I need to take obviously check all the levels and let it warm up properly. Just wondered if there was anything else I should do.

Thanks in advance Adam

ian_cupra

battery will be well flat, i'd be careful of brakes too, as they will have a massive build up of crap, so wont be good at all for a while

Swordjo

The Badger
Mar 17, 2006
Coatbridge (near Glasgow)
If it's been sitting for about 5 months (ish) when you start to use it again, I'd change the oil just to be on the safe side.

Battery wise you could get a trickle charge to stop any issues with the battery going flat.

If it's in a warms garage it wouldn't be too worried about rust. And check brakes as per above.

A9_SLU

A9 SLU
Nov 22, 2006
Portsmouth/Wiltshire
If it's been sitting for about 5 months (ish) when you start to use it again, I'd change the oil just to be on the safe side.

Battery wise you could get a trickle charge to stop any issues with the battery going flat.

If it's in a warms garage it wouldn't be too worried about rust. And check brakes as per above.

Stupidly I got it serviced just before taking it off the road so I was hoping the oil will be ok.

Unfortunately the garage that I am keeping it in does not have power so I can’t use a trickle charger I will just have to use a normal battery charger when i get back. Do you think there will be any issues with the ecu if it has now power for a long period of time?

ian_cupra

mine was sat for 4 months once, brakes free'd up easy, just drove off and they were fine, and it was left outside so shouldnt be too bad

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
disconnect the battery, leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels, also for piece of mind, spray a can of wd40 around the engine bay and i'd personally put a cover over it. you can get leaks in the garage that over a period of time will stain the paint. give it a damn good hoover and polish inside too before parking it up.

A9_SLU

A9 SLU
Nov 22, 2006
Portsmouth/Wiltshire
disconnect the battery, leave the handbrake off and chock the wheels, also for piece of mind, spray a can of wd40 around the engine bay and i'd personally put a cover over it. you can get leaks in the garage that over a period of time will stain the paint. give it a damn good hoover and polish inside too before parking it up.

That would have been a really good list of things to do in Hind sight. I did give it a really good hover and polish before I parked it up. So at least I did one thing right. Lol

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
best bet would have been to take wheels off as well (too late now obviously) because they can go square sitting on same spot for long period of time.

If brakes are really corroded use a metal brush and simply push the car forward to get to the parts you can;t reach (ie behind pads or rims)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.