Cupra R to FR 170 TDI

Bezza1969

Has anyone gone from Mk1 LCR to Mk2 FR diesel? I just wanted to know if you have, do you find the diesel much slower. The car mags seem to have ignored the FR, so Id be interested in a comparative time of say 30-80 through the gears LCR v diesel and 50-80 (3rd in LCR) and 3rd and 4th in diesel!

My budget could stretch to an early FR diesel, but a LCR Mk1 tempts me. Just how much quicker is the cupra for the extra fueling costs!

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Has anyone gone from Mk1 LCR to Mk2 FR diesel? I just wanted to know if you have, do you find the diesel much slower. The car mags seem to have ignored the FR, so Id be interested in a comparative time of say 30-80 through the gears LCR v diesel and 50-80 (3rd in LCR) and 3rd and 4th in diesel!

My budget could stretch to an early FR diesel, but a LCR Mk1 tempts me. Just how much quicker is the cupra for the extra fueling costs!

I did do a comparison with the Fr but i cant find the thread now. I would imagine that there would be barely anything in it. In real time driving not by the book the FR diesel in 3rd & 4th is a fast as any car i've driven.

You need to test drive it and forgot the book figures I don't think they are right. For example on a closed road my firm were working on I ran several 0-60 times just over 7 secs with about 50kg of construction crap in the boot and 3/4 tank of fuel, timed very precisely too.

Give one a drive

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Could not comment on the in gear times. However Cupra is quicker by a margin in std form, but it is the extras such as the brakes, wheels and other parts which make up the extra costs. Also if you are thinking about modding, Cupra is the way to go. Read some of the posts about people in their Mk1's who tried to mod their Cupra to a CupraR spec and they all say it would have been better to simply buy the top model, then push that envelope

craigomills

Candy White FR TDI 170
Mar 31, 2005
Derby
I had an LCR 225 before my current FRTDI.

The LCR is quicker in every way. The FRTDi is a quick car, but the LCR is much quicker (IMO)

Bezza1969

I am surprised you ex LCR owners say its that much quicker than the FR 170 in every way. I did drive an FR recently and in 3rd gear from say 30-70 I just cant imagine how a LCR would be much quicker. Maybe its just the turbo torque, although my stopwatch backed up my feelings. I guess higher in the gears and off the line the cupra would walk it. The FR170 didnt feel that quick off the line or in 2nd, compared even with my current tweaked 130 A3!

Thanks for the feedback though.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.