Cupra turbo whistle

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Evening all,

Loving the cupra, just noticed the past few days that there is a fairly distinctive turbo whistle/whoosh if that is the correct terminology on throttle. Had a fair few turbo cars and not really noticed it before. Can any other cupra owners comment on whether theirs make this sound please? Audible with Windows up and down, more so with them down. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid but a bit worried there is a loose or torn hose. Will have a look under bonnet tomorrow but don't really know what I'm looking for or engine layout yet. Performance and economy seem spot on.

Cheers

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Evening all,

Loving the cupra, just noticed the past few days that there is a fairly distinctive turbo whistle/whoosh if that is the correct terminology on throttle. Had a fair few turbo cars and not really noticed it before. Can any other cupra owners comment on whether theirs make this sound please? Audible with Windows up and down, more so with them down. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid but a bit worried there is a loose or torn hose. Will have a look under bonnet tomorrow but don't really know what I'm looking for or engine layout yet. Performance and economy seem spot on.

Cheers

It's normal, mine does it too.

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
Is it kind of a metallic whistle / chirrup? I'm a few short weeks into ownership of my MY16 290 and mine does it. Not sure of fuel economy yet - waiting for engine to free up a bit as its not yet as good as my Focus ST-3 - but the performance seems on point . Noise comes on light to moderate throttle and seems to disappear when you get 'on it' a little.

Cheers
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Thanks for the responses. It does sound slightly metallic/Whiney(like Mini Cooper s supercharger sound if you know what I mean)which is the concern really, could be the cam chain or something else I guess combined with the turbo whistle. If it's normal then that is good to know.

And fuel economy isn't too bad but any kind of heavy right foot activity and it drops like a stone! Not that I'm bothered given how much fun this car is! I'm on 30.5 long term average after 700 miles but I haven't been driving economically as trying to vary the revs a fair bit during run in

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
And fuel economy isn't too bad but any kind of heavy right foot activity and it drops like a stone! Not that I'm bothered given how much fun this car is! I'm on 30.5 long term average after 700 miles but I haven't been driving economically as trying to vary the revs a fair bit during run in

Mine had 961 miles on it when I got it. 1700 now so pretty well run in. I've taken it from 30.4 to 29.8 in just over 3 weeks. My Focus ST3 was 29.8 after 3 years. Mpg less important than the spg ( per gallon) that both motors offer. The Cupra does it without that distasteful left foot clutch nonsense .

Is your stop - start the most aggressive ever? Mine kicks in before the car's even stopped! Lol. Getting used to shutting that off as soon as I get in

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
The stop start system is very premature, wish I could permanently disable it! Love the car, really good fun. How does the performance compare to your ST?

My one gripe is that you can't really hear what the car sounds like in cupra mode due to the sound actuator nonsense.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I sometimes get turbo whistle on my 1.8TSi petrol DSG Leon FR - I actually quite like the sound!

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I sometimes get turbo whistle on my 1.8TSi petrol DSG Leon FR - I actually quite like the sound!

Lol me too, reminds me of my younger days playing Gran Turismo, when all the Japanese turbo cars had a nice whistle on throttle. I think I should grow up lol

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Aswell the Cupra as the Golf7R and the AudiS3 have that little metallic whistle around 2500 RPM.
That is caused by exhaust gasses resonating between the exhaust side of the turbo and the catalytic converter.
When you mount an bigger downpipe with a racecat it is 100% gone.
All cupra's have it when stock.

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
Aswell the Cupra as the Golf7R and the AudiS3 have that little metallic whistle around 2500 RPM.
That is caused by exhaust gasses resonating between the exhaust side of the turbo and the catalytic converter.
When you mount an bigger downpipe with a racecat it is 100% gone.
All cupra's have it when stock.

Aha! Thanks Snah. Was wondering what caused it. Good to know.

Cheers
Andy

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
The stop start system is very premature, wish I could permanently disable it! Love the car, really good fun. How does the performance compare to your ST?

My one gripe is that you can't really hear what the car sounds like in cupra mode due to the sound actuator nonsense.

Performance wise on the move it gathers speed much better than the ST - but off the line (the initial get away that is) the ST or anything quickish with a manual box and a driver with a semi skilled left paw will get away quicker cos of the slight 'lag' (for want of a better word) of the DSG. Once it's moving though, the ST would forever be behind. Had some young buck in a Suzuki Swift give it the beans on a get away from the lights last night. Lmao - he clearly doesn't know his cars or is used to people letting him get away with such nonsense. Not a fair fight I know but was funny as when I eventually decided to open the taps. Such a great car. Well pleased with it.

Used Cupra mode with manual shifts for the first time yesterday. Mrs Arrer was like "what the hell is that noise?" I'm not a fan of the sound aktor myself so will be steering clear I think. Car seems more than capable in normal mode :)

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere

You can with VCDS

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Performance wise on the move it gathers speed much better than the ST - but off the line (the initial get away that is) the ST or anything quickish with a manual box and a driver with a semi skilled left paw will get away quicker cos of the slight 'lag' (for want of a better word) of the DSG. Once it's moving though, the ST would forever be behind. Had some young buck in a Suzuki Swift give it the beans on a get away from the lights last night. Lmao - he clearly doesn't know his cars or is used to people letting him get away with such nonsense. Not a fair fight I know but was funny as when I eventually decided to open the taps. Such a great car. Well pleased with it.

Used Cupra mode with manual shifts for the first time yesterday. Mrs Arrer was like "what the hell is that noise?" I'm not a fan of the sound aktor myself so will be steering clear I think. Car seems more than capable in normal mode :)

Cupra can cover ground ridiculously quickly in manual mode. Much better using the paddles when things get twisty. I had an ST up my backside near where I live a few weeks ago and I gained several car lengths when we both floored it on a dual carriageway. I was particularly surprised how much faster the Cupra was above *ahem* legal speeds.

You can unplug the sound actuate or turn it down with VCDS.

Last edited:

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
Cupra can cover ground ridiculously quickly in manual mode. Much better using the paddles when things get twisty. I had an ST up my backside near where I live a few weeks ago and I gained several car lengths when we both floored it on a dual carriageway. I was particularly surprised how much faster the Cupra was above *ahem* legal speeds.

You can unplug the sound actuate or turn it down with VCDS.

Having only recently dropped out of the ST-3 into the 290 I'm not surprised that you found yourself that much faster. The ST is a quick enough motor and pretty spot on handling wise but the 290 has impressed me greatly so far and I've not had chance to take it anywhere interesting yet. TBH I've nothing against the ST as it was a damn good motor. I really wanted to get back into a DSG car and my 'Biza Cupra was a blast with the 7 speed and Audi A3 was cracking with the 6 speed. So the 290 was a no brainer and I'm not disappointed with my choice..... Even if it does keep whistling at me :)

shadak

Feb 13, 2014

Regarding the lag, I learned to control it after some time with DSG. Maybe you know of this but if you let the car creep just a little bit from full stop, you get lag. If you go from break pedal to throttle asap its quick. Or is it not what you meant?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Having only recently dropped out of the ST-3 into the 290 I'm not surprised that you found yourself that much faster. The ST is a quick enough motor and pretty spot on handling wise but the 290 has impressed me greatly so far and I've not had chance to take it anywhere interesting yet. TBH I've nothing against the ST as it was a damn good motor. I really wanted to get back into a DSG car and my 'Biza Cupra was a blast with the 7 speed and Audi A3 was cracking with the 6 speed. So the 290 was a no brainer and I'm not disappointed with my choice..... Even if it does keep whistling at me :)

I actually really like the new face of the ST-3. Especially in 'Stealth' grey, very smart.

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
I actually really like the new face of the ST-3. Especially in 'Stealth' grey, very smart.

Mine was the pfl in SB - not a fan of the humbrol grey (not sure if you were an airfix fan lol). Guy near me has the dreaded diesel (ST-D lolz) in red. Preferred the front of my pfl tbh. Loving the Alor blue 290. Needs a clean but don't have the time :-(

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
Regarding the lag, I learned to control it after some time with DSG. Maybe you know of this but if you let the car creep just a little bit from full stop, you get lag. If you go from break pedal to throttle asap its quick. Or is it not what you meant?

I know what you mean Shadak. I'm a 46 year old 'boy' racer and so I tend to be left foot on brake, 'box in manual and right foot poised to gun it. But the ST still felt quicker in that first 5 metres or so. Once this things gets moving though!!!!!

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I've got the manual box on the 290 and have to say that off the line it is better than I expected, being FWD, but a bit of a handful if you do hammer it off the line. Launches from a standstill are never going to be this cars forte, but on a roll from 20mph upwards these things are very quick. I've had a few imprezzas in my younger days at around 300bhp, and the 290 would destroy them on the roll. I guess 4wd is good if you like showing off with fast launches (not for me and not good for the car!), but other than that a similar power fwd car on the roll will be quicker. 4wd for me has no real advantage other than possibly in snow, plus 4wd has higher drivetrain power losses, so a lot of the bhp at the crank is lost driving two extra wheels. I read somewhere it can be 20-25% loss compared to front wheel drive which is typically around 10%.

My thought of the day :think:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise