Dash rattle

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
So for quite some time now, i have been annoyed by rattle inside the left side air vent. It goes away if i close the vent, so that i can live with - still annoying to know.
BUT, recently my dash started to develop a rattle, hard to locate, but if Im pushing hard just above the radio, as to sort of push the entire dash, the rattle is almost gone. I suspect it to be located around the middle of the dash, close to the speaker or the air vent blowing air on the front window.

Anyone got a solution as to find out or better yet, fixing it. This is driving me nuts:cry:

The warranty has expired, so I wont turn it in, as I dont want to risk something else to happen.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
I have changed my 2014 Leon Cupra for a Mercedes SLK 2012 and it has it fair sheer of rattles, I think it is something we have to live with modern cars.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
Unfortunately with all the wiring and bits inside the dash and panels there's bound to be something that rattles as its all made of plastic. I try my best to isolate them but there's times when I have to admit defeat, as all modern motors seem to come with them. I just never drive without the radio on so don't notice some of the quieter ones

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
I have changed my 2014 Leon Cupra for a Mercedes SLK 2012 and it has it fair sheer of rattles, I think it is something we have to live with modern cars.

It makes me feel a bit better to know the Mercs have rattles too.

I think it comes a point when you start to ignore them. It will help if you focus on the things you like about the car.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
I've been in a fair number of new and relatively new Aston Martins and they rattle too.

Top of the range Mercedes S-class is about as good as you will get. Rolls Royce too, but they are so expensive and overbuilt its ridiculous!!

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Anyone remember the Golf advert with the earrings? Were 80's cars perhaps built better? Nostalgia perhaps.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
I have been able to locate the rattle - seems as it is the plastic part, just beneath the front window, in front of the window air blower. I wonder how it is possible to remove that part and put some anti rattle foam under it.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I've been in a fair number of new and relatively new Aston Martins and they rattle too.

Top of the range Mercedes S-class is about as good as you will get. Rolls Royce too, but they are so expensive and overbuilt its ridiculous!!

Totally agree about the Aston's, my dad has a V8 vantage and it rattles, creaks and squeeks all over.

However, I have to disagree about the S Class. Mercedes have shocking build quality. Not shocking because they are horrendously bad, but shocking given the premium price tag. My mum bought an S320 in 2002 brand new, and by 2006 it had had two doors and the bonnet replaced due to rust. On a £56k car. Unbelievably she then bought an SL350 to replace it, which she still has, and it is forever having work done on it. Mercs look and sound lovely, but look under the surface and the quality just isn't there anymore. They aren't what they used to be.

My Leon is still rattle free after its first 15k miles and cost me a fraction of what my parents spent on their cars.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
Perhaps the issues have gone better during the past couple of years. My car is a demo car, from when the Leon was first presented here in DK, so perhaps their production has improved since then.

Though the rattle irritates me like hell, I still enjoy driving it, and I would probably end up buying another Leon once there's a facelifted version (with dsg)