Dashboard Amber Engine Warning Light On...... What's Wrong?

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I had mine checked on vag-com, this is the fault code.

1 Fault Found:
16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0420 - 35-00 - -

I had the emissions checked to make sure the cat is ok, all readings were well below spec so the cat is ok.

I have a full exhaust system with high flow cat so might space out the second lambda as some of the guys are doing here...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1366095

Neil.

Same fault as I have, one of the lads at work ran a full scan for me. :) Was just about to post the details actually :p

I'm off to see Bill for Custom Code phase 2 tomorrow, I believe this can be mapped out / switched off with phase 2.

tompotts

Touch me in the morning!
Mar 17, 2007
it could be anything, this light is ****!

I just git mine to clear after a lot of trying to figure out what the problem was. Drove up to Reading and half way back down 'BING' f****r came back on!

Lisa Davison

Hi ...... I had that light come on my dash yesterday. I've booked it into SEAT B'ham for a dyagnostic. I hope it isn't going to be expensive? Things normally need replacing after time and I assumed this was the case when it came on. I did consider that is was something to do with emissions...though I've not been through any puddles ????? I'll let you know what SEAT has to say next week!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I had a C-C phase 2 remap done on Saturday, the "16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold" fault cleared straight away. :D

A fairly expensive "fix" but bloody hell - it's worth it!!! :funk:

skunnie26

Oct 4, 2006
Fife
just a quick update, i am not convinced that the puddle/water was anything to do with my problem. might just have been a coincidence that the light came on shortly after my adventure in knee deep H20

scotscupra

i had the same light on. after going through a large puddel the cause was water in the air in- take. i just disconected the battery and it re set it self after i dried out the air fillter

Proc

Dec 24, 2007
Sheffield
Yep i had this problem as well, didn't go through any puddles though. Mine just came on, just had a guy come and check it with vagcom. Came up something to do with the wastegate, so he cleared the light and its going in this weekend for a check and to get sorted.

Stan 24v

Apr 7, 2007
Blackpool
There are loads of reasons for the light coming on, all stated above. Vag-Com is pretty much the only way of telling what the code is for.

Here is what 16804 is:

16804/P0420/001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
Possible Causes

* Oxygen Sensor(s) defective
* Oxygen Sensor(s) Control defective

Possible Solutions

* Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
* Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control
* Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check

Special Notes

* For 1.8T's experiencing this fault code, this thread may be useful: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=663057

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16804/P0420/001056

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
I had my fault code cleared the other day but it's back again.

I'm going to try and space out the post cat lambda sensor so it won't read as much exhaust gas.
Guys on vwvortex are doing this when they have large bore downpipes and high flow cats fitted.

lambda.jpg

Any idea where I could get one of the spacers?

Thanks,
Neil.

Punch IT!

you fool!
Jun 22, 2007
west london
Hi Johnny,

Same thing happened to me today, light just came on while I was sat in traffic.

I also have a turbo back inc hi flo cat piper exhaust :confused:

Did you find out anymore?

Thanks,
Neil.

[:@] The bliming Amber light has returned on my LC too![:@]
i have only just changed all my coil packs coz a few weeks ago mine was flashing at me then it was on constantly after i had changed the coils so i did the battery rest and it was gone and now sitting in the lights this evening in cool dry weather the light has returned What does it want from US!![:@]

Do you guys know whether its worth getting one of those handheld fault code readers/deleters the ones on ebay??
they are cheaper than dongle cable plus program.

Lisa Davison

Hiya! It have been a while, but I have just worked out what the light meant LOL. My earth had been corroded and throwing incorrect signals to the ECU, displaying all sorts of problems. I got it sorted, changed a few sensors and cars a gooden. Thanks All. x P.S. I got a remap whilst I was at it and it's more than fine now :)

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Neil
Did you try this with yours, and have you solved your problem? I have had all sorts of problems since getting my Piper system fitted, turns out the down pipe threw out all the fueling for my map. Had a custom done and the fault code came up about a week later. Got it deleted and all was fine for about 3 weeks and since then it has come back twice.

Matt

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
Neil
Did you try this with yours, and have you solved your problem? I have had all sorts of problems since getting my Piper system fitted, turns out the down pipe threw out all the fueling for my map. Had a custom done and the fault code came up about a week later. Got it deleted and all was fine for about 3 weeks and since then it has come back twice.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I had an angle block fitted to mine months ago and have had no lights on since.
Details of the angle block here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3768940
Got it posted to Ireland for $40.

PM me if you want the guys email address.

Neil.

Andy_75

hey guys...

Just travelled back from work today, and as I left, the infamous amber engine management light came on! Not good - means £££ usually.

The thing is though, the car drove the same as it always does. Think this would suggest a Lamda fault ??

The ironic thing was I hooked it up to a VAGCOM system only a week ago, and found no faults - Typical!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members