Lozzy15

Dashcam wiring guide for MK3 Leon

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Great guide @Lozzy15 Yes the battery won't like going down to 12v that's as good as at dead flat and it won't like it. Means only 25% left. Should not allow it go go below 12.2 which is 50%.

For those with interference issues with DAB I has this with other cameras, in one case it was the camera being by the rear screen that was the issue OR the power supply caused noise (had a little 12v to USB converter)

Reactions: Lozzy15

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
@Lozzy15 Would it still be fuse 40 on a 2020 Leon FR? I’ll borrow a multimeter to check, but what am I looking for!?

Assuming you mean your Mk3.5 2020 - yes, it'll all be the same, my MY20 same spec car was. Will probably be the same for the Mk4 FR too, I can imagine the wiring is the same as it's still essentially the same chassis.

If you want to check it yourself, plug a charger or something that indicates when it's receiving power into the 12v socket, unplug that device and then pull the fuse for it. If there's no power when you plug it back in then you've found the fuse

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Assuming you mean your Mk3.5 2020 - yes, it'll all be the same, my MY20 same spec car was. Will probably be the same for the Mk4 FR too, I can imagine the wiring is the same as it's still essentially the same chassis.

If you want to check it yourself, plug a charger or something that indicates when it's receiving power into the 12v socket, unplug that device and then pull the fuse for it. If there's no power when you plug it back in then you've found the fuse
Thank you mate!

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Right, so I’ve done it! However, a few questions of you don’t mind please...

1. where did you put all of the excess cabling? As it stands I’ve cable tied it up and put it behind the glove compartment?

2. The boot trim is back on but is loose in certain areas. I’ve checked the clips and they’re all on. Some of the clips came off of the trim and the still on the metal of the boot lid so had to reattach them, is that normal?

3. I managed to break a clip on the rubber boot (which you specifically warned about!!). Is this a concern? It’s still secure just has a small amount of play compared to the other one.

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
For those using a Power Magic Pro box is Is anyone else getting a persistent fault code telling you the car static current is too high?

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Right, so I’ve done it! However, a few questions of you don’t mind please...

1. where did you put all of the excess cabling? As it stands I’ve cable tied it up and put it behind the glove compartment?

2. The boot trim is back on but is loose in certain areas. I’ve checked the clips and they’re all on. Some of the clips came off of the trim and the still on the metal of the boot lid so had to reattach them, is that normal?

3. I managed to break a clip on the rubber boot (which you specifically warned about!!). Is this a concern? It’s still secure just has a small amount of play compared to the other one.

Hi, sorry for the late response, been so busy lately!

1. Excess cable was indeed tucked away behind the glovebox. It won't be an issue there.

2. Sometimes you have to give them a good bang to ensure they are fully in there place again. There may be a little play in the trim but there shouldn't be alot. The metal clips do like to bend and miss the hole they're supposed to go in so may be worth taking it off and checking them.

3. So long as the rubber boot still has pressure against the metal. This keeps water out of the interior so it does need to be keeping good contact with the surface all around the edge. If it isn't I would suggest bonding it to the surface to ensure no water ingress. I had to do that to mine. It has been fine ever since.

Reactions: Luke_bank

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Hi, sorry for the late response, been so busy lately!

1. Excess cable was indeed tucked away behind the glovebox. It won't be an issue there.

2. Sometimes you have to give them a good bang to ensure they are fully in there place again. There may be a little play in the trim but there shouldn't be alot. The metal clips do like to bend and miss the hole they're supposed to go in so may be worth taking it off and checking them.

3. So long as the rubber boot still has pressure against the metal. This keeps water out of the interior so it does need to be keeping good contact with the surface all around the edge. If it isn't I would suggest bonding it to the surface to ensure no water ingress. I had to do that to mine. It has been fine ever since.

Thank you mate.

I cables tied the excess cable to the frame of the dashboard, behind the side panel.

I ended up replacing all of the trim clips and it went back on fine, albeit some play on the bottom right but I’m not taking it off again!

I’m going to try a bit of silicone sealant. I also found this on another forum which is worth a try - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...e-wiring-loom-grommet-boot-repair-diy.364987/

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
I haven't had a fault since using the box on mine, have you tried clearing codes and seeing if it returns?

Yes mate. Clear it then it comes back again after the car goes into shutdown leaving just the Magic Pro live. If I turn off the Magic Pro the fault does not return when cleared. Wonder if my car is monitoring permanent live via the cigarette lighter fuse.

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
Thanks for the detailed guide.

A bit more detail for anyone else installing a camera with parking mode.

I've installed a VIOFO A129 with front and rear cameras, also using the parking mode.
The hardwire kit for this comes with 2 connections to live. One for permanent and the other for accessory power.

Connected the accessory power to the 20A fuse in slot 40 for the camera to record whilst driving, and the permanent live to the 30A fuse in slot 27 which is the interior lights. The VIOFO hardwire kit comes with a voltage monitor to cut power when the battery drops below a predefined voltage, wouldn't recommend using this without one of those boxes.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the detailed guide.

A bit more detail for anyone else installing a camera with parking mode.

I've installed a VIOFO A129 with front and rear cameras, also using the parking mode.
The hardwire kit for this comes with 2 connections to live. One for permanent and the other for accessory power.

Connected the accessory power to the 20A fuse in slot 40 for the camera to record whilst driving, and the permanent live to the 30A fuse in slot 27 which is the interior lights. The VIOFO hardwire kit comes with a voltage monitor to cut power when the battery drops below a predefined voltage, wouldn't recommend using this without one of those boxes.
I'm wondering if anyone can help, please?

I have a NextBase 522GW (Front and Rear) hardwired into my Leon 5f with the NextBase hardwire kit.
It sits half on, half off fuse socket 40 (12v feed). Which I think means it goes off with ignition.

The issue I'm facing is my camera keeps rebooting and sometimes doesn't even start recording on its own. Sometimes the blue light (charging) illuminates and sometimes it doesn't.
My concern is - is this happening due to start/stop kicking in and cutting power? Making the camera think the ignition is going off/on?

I could hardwire a permanent feed - but which fuse number do I need to switch it to for this?

Thanks a lot!

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'm wondering if anyone can help, please?

I have a NextBase 522GW (Front and Rear) hardwired into my Leon 5f with the NextBase hardwire kit.
It sits half on, half off fuse socket 40 (12v feed). Which I think means it goes off with ignition.

The issue I'm facing is my camera keeps rebooting and sometimes doesn't even start recording on its own. Sometimes the blue light (charging) illuminates and sometimes it doesn't.
My concern is - is this happening due to start/stop kicking in and cutting power? Making the camera think the ignition is going off/on?

I could hardwire a permanent feed - but which fuse number do I need to switch it to for this?

Thanks a lot!
The start/stop would have no effect on the power supply to the camera. The USB plug that goes into the camera may have bad connection, I had a problem with my 512G, the plug was making a bad connection and was intermittent.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
The start/stop would have no effect on the power supply to the camera. The USB plug that goes into the camera may have bad connection, I had a problem with my 512G, the plug was making a bad connection and was intermittent.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

To confirm... Whenever I restart the engine by depressing the clutch, the screen comes back on and the blue light either goes off then on again, or goes off and doesn't come back on. There's no pattern to that but it does happen every single time start-stop restarts.

I've had the wires in and out and made sure they are secure, not loose.

I'm going to take the camera out of its suction mount and power it from the top socket instead of that magnetic thing, see if that helps.

Thanks again!

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Stop start will turn off some circuits to reduce battery drain as you have found out.
If you fit ferrite rings you need to loop the cable as many times as the ring will fit, a single loop won't cut it.
Also copper tape around the electric devices will reduce RF interference that radios in particular don't like.
Had to do alot of this sort of thing building drones

Aug 27, 2021
Thank you mate.

I cables tied the excess cable to the frame of the dashboard, behind the side panel.

I ended up replacing all of the trim clips and it went back on fine, albeit some play on the bottom right but I’m not taking it off again!

I’m going to try a bit of silicone sealant. I also found this on another forum which is worth a try - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...e-wiring-loom-grommet-boot-repair-diy.364987/
I think I will have to try this fix.

Does anyone know how to replace the whole grommet? They can be bought on eBay for less than £10 but I am not sure how to get connectors through them.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.