Dealer gave me wrong part?

May 10, 2023
Had to replace the crankshaft pulley bolt on my ibiza 6L 1,4 BBY, the one my car came with (from factory) is a 19 mm 12 point with a flat head but the one dealer gave me is 21 mm 12 point with a hollow head?

Inkedimage.jpg

Looking at the repair manual they do mention two different crankshaft pulley bolts with different torque requirements, flat head 90 nm + 90 degrees vs hollow head 150 nm + 180 degree. What's strange is that the manual does state that the same version of crankshaft pulley bolt that the car came with should be used, so why did the dealer give me the new bolt?

Can I use new bolt without issues or do I play safe and get the original flat head bolt? 150 nm is quite a lot of torque and I don't want to strip something.

InkedScreenshot 2023-08-14 at 19-53-54 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951 - Ibiza 2004 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951.pdf.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 19-54-24 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951 - Ibiza 2004 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951.pdf.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 19-54-24 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951 - Ibiza 2004 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 19-54-24 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951 - Ibiza 2004 VSSZZZ6LZ4R215951.pdf.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 74

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Possible either could have been used from new and the dealer only had one in stock, so that’s what he supplied, or this one was used in most applications?

May 10, 2023
Possible either could have been used from new and the dealer only had one in stock, so that’s what he supplied, or this one was used in most applications?
I did actually email different dealerships to get a price estimate for a cambelt replacement before I decided to just do it myself, they all use the same new bolt with the hollow head and apparently it's the correct one when they type in my car VIN-number. Still strange that the manual recommends using the same version bolt that the car came with. Do you think it's okay to use the new bolt?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
It may be a superseded part number, this might have been done after the manual was printed, had this often without any explanation in the parts list, if your worried I’d ask the dealer and they might check with their technical dept for you.

May 10, 2023
It may be a superseded part number, this might have been done after the manual was printed, had this often without any explanation in the parts list, if your worried I’d ask the dealer and they might check with their technical dept for you.
After a little more research in other forums documents it seems that the bolt has been superseded by the new hollow bolt for some reason, I did also notice some engine mount bolts having a slightly different part number but the bolts looked more or less the same, some had a little less thread on the bolt compared to the old ones but otherwise I had no problem with installation. I suppose it's the same deal with the crankshaft bolt.

Also after some closer reading of the service manual for the VW polo and Skoda fabia they all state that the newest version of the bolt should be used when it's replaced, the wording is slightly confusing on my manual but I guess that just comes down to translation.

Now I'll just have to find a way to get enough leverage to torque it down properly, that's going to be a challenge.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
That's a large difference in tightening torque.
Not only is it more to seat it, it another 90 degrees of stretch.
Perhaps ask the dealer for the tightening torque also. Unless you have already.

May 10, 2023
That's a large difference in tightening torque.
Not only is it more to seat it, it another 90 degrees of stretch.
Perhaps ask the dealer for the tightening torque also. Unless you have already.
Well it very clearly stated on the manual 150 nm + 180 degrees so I can't see why it would be any different if I asked the dealer, I might as well ask to see what they say but I'm pretty sure the torque spec is correct.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Bolt strength and yield%

I presume they are single use bolts.

It may be that the new bolt, having a seperate washer needs more torque to seat or crush it, or there's less stretch in the new bolt.

The yield relates to the bolts tensile strength.

I imagine even similar bolts will behave differently with a seperate washer.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
You'd think that similar torque would be required for the same purpose if the bolts were similar. Also I'd imagine the crank would be much stronger than the bolt so stripping it shouldn't be an issue.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise