Decent Seat locksmith or mechanics in Nottingham please

bushiee

Nov 14, 2013
Carlton, Nottingham
Hi Guys,
Can anybody recommend a decent Seat garage in the Eat Midlands (Nottingham) area?
Or somewhere that can do Ignition barrel and door lock replacement (or fix).

The reason being yesterday I put the key in the ignition and it was solid wouldn't move an inch. It slid in fine it just wouldn't turn to start the car, After wiggling, pushing and pulling the key around it eventually turned and I was able to start the car and get home.

This morning it seemed OK no problems. Went out a couple of times.
But this afternoon I go to get in the car and bam same as yesterday. It does eventually turn if you wiggle push and pull the key, but when you take the key out I don't hear the click from the barrel - so when you try the lock the doors with the remote it wont because it thinks the key is still in the barrel, a gentle bang on the barrel and it clicks. I can then lock the car.
So if anybody knows of a fix for this please let me know. Otherwise like I said earlier I need a decent mechanic who can fix this for me.

cheers.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
How olds the car how many miles as it done?
Try lubricating the lock up first,sounds like its sticking, use a proper lock lubricating spray, not wd40 though if you can avoid it, unless That's all you have, will work but far from ideal in the long term as its not a lubricant

bushiee

Nov 14, 2013
Carlton, Nottingham
Hi.
thanks for quick response dw911.
its a Leon fr 56 plate with 69k.
Got no lock lube but I have lathered it in wd40 which hasn't done a deal :(
I might get some lock lube tomorrow any particular make or what exactly is it called?

cheers

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Had this on my 08 plate, be the pins in the ignition barrel dried and sticking, called out the AA they lubricated it which did trick but had to get replaced, thankfully under warranty

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi.
thanks for quick response dw911.
its a Leon fr 56 plate with 69k.
Got no lock lube but I have lathered it in wd40 which hasn't done a deal :(
I might get some lock lube tomorrow any particular make or what exactly is it called?

cheers

Graphite grease is the best stuff, but I don't know if you can get it in a spay
If not gets some silicon spray or similar needs to have a straw attachment so you can poke it right inside the key hole give it a good few sprays then slide the key in and out a few times, repeat both steps a few times, also spray in between the lock barrel and the housing it tuns in
It may take you a while but it should work as from your description it sounds like it is just gummed up through lack of lubrication
Once you have it working, coat the key with graphite grease and insert the key a few times to spread it about

If by any chance this does not work as its really seized up you will need to remove the barrel from the lock and inspect it and clean/free it up, quite simple to remove the barrel a search on the net should show you how or it may be described in the factory manual if you have a copy

Last edited:

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
dw911 is right, graphite grease is the best solution for sticky locks. Using oil based lubricants aren't recommended as they attract dirt/dust. You can get the graphite spray for locks from Amazon if you search for: Ambersil-Graphite-Lock-Lubricant

Last edited:

bushiee

Nov 14, 2013
Carlton, Nottingham
Big Thanks to dw911 and GS16LRHP got some ambersil earlier today gave it a quick spray and hey presto, everything's good in the Leon world again :)
Thank you so much you have saved me a whole heap of money.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise