Dial Swap Questions

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Hi, I managed to pick up some dials from a 1992 Mk2 in a scrapyard today and I'd like to swap them into my 1997 1.4 so i can have a rev-counter:

Will this work seeing as the 92 dials have a rolling odometer and mine is digital?

Can i change the rolling odometer to match my mileage and, if so, how?

Many thanks,

Chris

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Hi, I managed to pick up some dials from a 1992 Mk2 in a scrapyard today and I'd like to swap them into my 1997 1.4 so i can have a rev-counter:

Will this work seeing as the 92 dials have a rolling odometer and mine is digital?

Can i change the rolling odometer to match my mileage and, if so, how?

Many thanks,

Chris

Not sure as to if your car will work with the rolling odometer but I think it should, as both of the dials have the same plug at the back.

As for adjusting the millage, yes it can be done. When I was trying find the fault with my speedo on my 1.4, I took the dials apart, in fact so apart I could have had the odometer reading 0 miles :-o But I didn't clock my old one because there was no need to,lol.

But to take them apart is a bit of a pain. Takes about an hour to do the whole thing and is really fiddly as you need to take apart the spring loaded trip counter reset button. Than there are a couple of clips that need to get unhooked to take the speedo off the circuit board. All can be done using common sense but its a fiddly job.

Mig

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Hey Mig,

Thanks for that, fit the rolling odometer dials first and then if they work i'll set to taking them apart.

Would it be possible to take off the clear plastic on the front and just roll the odometer back by hand without taking it any further apart do you think?

Cheers

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Hey Mig,

Thanks for that, fit the rolling odometer dials first and then if they work i'll set to taking them apart.

Would it be possible to take off the clear plastic on the front and just roll the odometer back by hand without taking it any further apart do you think?

Cheers

No, that's impossible. First of all the clear plastic is part of the whole dial cluster, meaning you need to take out the cluster out of the dash 1st. Easy job really...... 4 screws and one plug and the cluster is out. Than you undo another 8ish screws at the back of the cluster and you can take the casing apart. You will be able to touch the odometer, but not change it because its connected to an electric motor and if you tried to turn the meter, you would strip some of the gears/cogs. What you have to do is take the tachometer out of the circuit board. from what I can remember you unscrew the dial face (2 screws), than two screws from the back and undo 3 clips from inside the circuit board, and unclip a small plug. Than the tacho comes out. Once out you need to push the pin out from the center of the odometer and adjust the tacho to whatever numbers you want (takes about 3 secs). Than to put it back together is reversal of taking apart. But a pain putting the reset button back together.

And enjoy your new accurate Dials.

Come to think of it you should just be able to take off the clock dial, and replace it with the rev counter dial as they are both just slide in jobbies, but not too sure.

Mig

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Well i tried plugging in the rev-counter dash earlier and unfortunately it doesn't work: The digital clock works but the rev-counter doesnt, also the oil pressure warning light stays lit when the engine is running...

Do you reckon it'd be worth trying to swap the rev-counter into my existing dials or just buy a rev-counter dash from a later car and ebay the rolling odometer one?

Cheers

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Take apart the cluster with the rev counter and try and pull out the rev counter dial. It should literally be just a case of holding onto it and pulling it up. This is what the back of the clock dial looks like, so if the rev counter has similar pins in similar places, than the chances are that you will be able to just swap the two dials around.

DSC00538.jpg

Mig

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
Unfortunately it looks nothing like that so it looks like the rolling odometer dials will be going on eBay.

I'll phone round some scrapyards tomorrow and see if they have any later Mk2s with rev-counters... Will a mk3 Polo dash fit/work too?

Cheers for your help Mig.