Diesel differences?

dazzzooo

Does anyone think the diesel from different garages differs?
I filled up at Shell last week and my baby seamed to run alot better?
Maybe its me but I will continue with Shell.........also cos it tends to be cheaper!!

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Hi when u use shell optimax which is about 80% of the time only time i don't is when i'm out of area and can't find a shell garage that sells it there is only a few around where i live that do and what i notice is that it doesn't smoke asmuch with shell optimax diesel!!

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
BP Ultimate diesel makes a huge difference in terms of throttle response, power, smoothness etc! Might be all mental though :)

I try to use it every 4-5 fill ups as there isnt one near me.

Fastbaz

Fastbaz
Nov 26, 2006
west midlands
i have used both and have found that mine prefers shell diesel less smoke seems to be more responsive and get a couple of miles to the gallon extra....

Fishy

May 16, 2005
I am between both Shell and BP, and use Shell over BP due to it being 4p a litre cheaper, and never had a problem with it. I just will not justify spending the extra for the tax man.

I've used the Shell Optimax Diesel a couple of times and all I noticed was slightly less smoke.

Fish

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I usually use Shell Diesel Extra as a) it's the nearest filling station and b) it's the same price as any other diesel in the area.

Whenever I've used any other diesel (BP Ultimate, Esso, Tesco, Sainsos etc) I might THINK I can feel / tell a difference but the MPG figures and performance show no difference at all ..... certainly nothing that can't be explained by type of driving or ambient temp.

Have yet to try the new Shell V-Power stuff tho'

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I used to run my old Ibiza TDI on a solid diet of BP Ultimate diesel and Millers Power Plus which was fantastic and it ran like a scalded cat, but then again I wasn't paying for fuel at the time. :)

Cupra_joeboy

May 16, 2007
Derbyshire
with supermarket fuels there tends to be far more additives and chemicals added to it for some reason, a bloke who works for me told me ''if your ever going to fill up your car, make sure its from a proper place and not a supermarket''

i have used shell v-power/optimax in petrol form for a few yaers and swear by it, plus its cheaper than say tesco etc... strange really, saying that though morrisons is cheap, but its shite fuel!

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
Supermarkets buy their fuel from the main oil companies (BP/ESSO/Shell). So its the same fuel. The only difference you will notice is between the major suppliers of fuel and differences in quality with the "premium" fuels.

Last edited:

MattFrench

No poke without smoke
Jan 16, 2007
www.rsfrench.com
Correct me if I wrong but i have been informed by various fuel suppliers that it all comes from the same refinary, Tesco may buy its diesel from shell and it all comes from the same souce but when being filled into the tanker thats when the additives are added. Where you fill up does make a difference, I personly use esso, because it is the cheapest by along way. Or i fill up at our own tank of shell ultra low sulphur diesel the same as you get at the pumps. :)

sssstew

Editing your spelling
nooo not the old supermarket vs branded fuel debate again!

different people have different views, im of the view its all the same and the fact my non pd isnt fussy about fuel means anything works fine for me. i know PD drivers who use supermarket fuel with no problems as well.

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
I find BP Ultimate better than supermarket deisel a lot better as said above. :D

i remember hearing similar to what MattFrench said, that it originates at the same refinery but then each individual seller adds different additives to it:shrug:

CupraTDI_Rob

2004 Leon Cupra TDI
Jun 26, 2007
Colchester, Essex
When i picked up my leon cupra tdi on saturday it had half a tank of fuel and when i put my foot down it chucked out a fair bit of black stuff, but i filled up with BP ultimate on sunday and the black smoke has disappeared.
MPG seem to be slightly up as well but i haven't noticed any gains in performance tbh.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I had a soft spot for BP Ultimate but then filled up at Morribobs and found I got about 10% further on that and seemed to run better. Definately more smoke under heavy acceleration though.

I tend to stick to Esso or Shell, where the price is good and equal to local s/market prices. Tend to avoid s/market fuel but very occasionally use it. I've never noticed any real difference in performance or mpg though, but then I always use a drop or two of Millers. :)

The best fuel for me is the dirty Spanish stuff at about 60p a litre - full sulphur, high density smoke-screen producing stuff, but the engine hums nicely on it and really flies. ;)

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
my only real experience 2 cents for this thread is that for a 1.6 saxo vts, super unleaded really gives noticeable extra kick over standard unleaded.

dont know about diesel yet :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.