Diesel tuning box and bad weather - word of warning...

Rob100

Hi

Just letting you know about a problem I had with my tuning box. It was a box from http://tuning-diesels.com/ - Roverron tuning.

I've had the box for some time and always felt that it gave a slight, but not great improvement. However, I have always thought that it was well made and very solid but...

A day driving in snow followed by a night of heavy Scottish rain left my engine bay very wet. The next day the car started OK but after a couple of metres it sounded odd, then lost all power and cut out. Managed to re-start it but it was not right and had smoke coming out of the back of the engine. Not being a mechanic there was little I could do but phone the break down people but as its a lease car I disconnected the tuning box first.

Water dripped out of the box from the area where the switches are! Hence, thought I would try the car again without the box and it was absolutely fine.

OK, it was very extreme conditions but I would have expected the box to have been waterproofed.

Due to the way the engine was running and the smoke I am not prepared to risk damaging the engine and will not be reconnecting the box. I contacted tuning-diesels who claim to never have had this problem before, but they did offer to test and repair the unit. However, I'm about to change the car and do not plan to refit another tuning box so have not taken them up on the offer.

Just a word of warning if you use this box, or any other tuning box...

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Yeah, don't use tunning boxes full stop, they cause faults. Do it the right way and remap it!

andycupra

status subject to change
lol

this reminds me of my old boss who brought himself a flash new battery powered golf trolley,
'oh it was a bargain its soo good, ive been shaving 2-3 shots off my game'..

works competition we are part of a 4 ball group.. 3rd hole starts to rain.
5th hole. Trolley doesnt work due to the controls getting wet!

Afterwards reads instructions.. 'do not use in rain'.
so a bargain golf trolley you cant use in the rain..

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.