Difference between 280 vs 290 cupra

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Different exhaust, the 290 weighs 5+kg less (and depending on edition I.e black edition- you get a more punchy sounding exhaust in high rpm) as for performance figures slight different map on the 290 making it have 10 extra horses. You put a 280 against a 290 the 290's just slightly gonna be quicker but I mean micro seconds. It's just marketing at best.

You put high grade fuel in there both running close to 300bhp anyway.

Would say go for manual though but that's just my preference, I get bored of flappy paddle to quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
The apparent differences are 10hp, different exhaust (louder) and I believe a slightly different engine map.
I got the silencers removed on my 280 and it sounds a lot better than stock. I haven't driven or seen a 290 around where I am so can't compare. Hope that helps

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Mines a 290 and we both agree.

Interesting choice with the silencers I did think about that how much it cost you ?

Last edited:

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
Mines a 290 and we both agree.

Interesting choice with the silencers I did think about that how much it cost you ?

I got two silencers removed for £200. I was thinking about changing the whole exhaust but that would've set me back nearly 4 times as much.
You're right about the dsg, it can get boring at times

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
i posted this in wrong area opps but youve replied to quick lol

oh great so basically not much difference at all... reason im asking is i think im prob going to get a 2/3 year old which maybe a 280.

i fancy dsg as im stick of changing gear in busy traffic, i stall my 184 quite alot due to boredom.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
It's all personal choice dude the dsg box is flawless don't get me wrong, smooth and rapid. But for me I just like that gear shift when putting the power down.

Cheers mezza will have a look into this

Last edited:

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
It's all personal choice dude the dsg box is flawless don't get me wrong, smooth and rapid. But for me I just like that gear shift when putting the power down

i know what you mean, but ive not had a dsg before so will be a nice change! this is going to be a "family" car lol

i cant get over how boring it made my 184 feel lol

Stubaloo

Oct 15, 2016
Looking at the 290 be it seems as if they have somehow stoped the engine from been mapped past 335 bhp on the manual anyone else had this with there own 290be

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Looking at the 290 be it seems as if they have somehow stoped the engine from been mapped past 335 bhp on the manual anyone else had this with there own 290be

Mines 370bhp bang on. Had it done last week got the revo stage one software installed, booked it 3 months ahead as my garage was chocka block and I landed on the Black Friday deal for it £660 -25% well ****ing made up I don't know where you have read that it's been stopped to 335 bhp .
778b793e5dd20040dc2332b096e2e38b.png

Stubaloo

Oct 15, 2016
There's a link on perfomance centre Sunderland and they have had a few leon cupra 290
On there rollers also a revo agent and jb1 but the car won't let them take it past the 335bhp mark. Which is why I put it on here to see if there was a one else who had this happen to them

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
There's a link on perfomance centre Sunderland and they have had a few leon cupra 290

On there rollers also a revo agent and jb1 but the car won't let them take it past the 335bhp mark. Which is why I put it on here to see if there was a one else who had this happen to them

I'll get the live log of the remap email over if I can buddy, but I really don't see how or why they would be saying that, the revo map has been out for quite some time, trailed and tested now.

Speak to another guy or mapper buddy a local garage i first rang up promised gains for those sort of figures but it would of voided my warranty with it not being a reputable company only cost about 250-300 quid

It's worth baring in mind it's a shared engine with the golf R and Audi S3 and look at what figures the Audi runs on remaps Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016

270413a01c694252c60215664bdd921b.png

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members