Digital Cockpit disappearing navigation map

NOEL4

Anyone with Digital Cockpit noticing the navigation map and compass sometimes failing to appear?
I've just done 800 miles from new and today for the second time now the map and compass hasn't loaded on screen.

The sat nav on the 10 inch Infotainment screen works fine all the time including when the same map doesn't show on the Digital Cockpit. Everything else works normally on the DC screen when the "Starting to load" message appears...when it does it just remains that way..a black background..no map...the other displays do still appear..it's only the navigation map and compass that fail to appear when the glitch occurs.

This seems to be a random glitch but when it happens I've not found any way to get the map to load other than switch the engine off and leave it for several minutes then start the engine again..it has then worked as normal afterwards.

Switching off the Infotainment screen etc has no effect as the Digital Cockpit is independent of it.

Any thoughts?

shanec07

Apr 22, 2015
Sligo Ireland
Like you said it’s random. I’ve come across it a few times myself. Seems to sort the next time the car is started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOEL4

Like you said it’s random. I’ve come across it a few times myself. Seems to sort the next time the car is started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...so far only re starting the engine (left for ten minutes) fixed it. This last occurrence I drove off with it not working to see if it corrected itself on the journey...it didn't.

I'm wondering why the navigation map and compass on the Digital Cockpit screen can randomly not acquire GPS in order display and yet it displays without error on the Infotainment screen. It seems the two screens are independent of each other..not sure if two GPS signals are being acquired when the car starts or just one and the problem is a glitch in the system controlling only the Digital Cockpit display. The digital speed readout, gear change indicator etc all display no problem.

Tell

Staff member
Will be one GPS. Cockpit is driven off a feed from the mib3 unit and just a display. Will be that interconnection software app that's failing or the infotainment system itself not pushing out the display.

The cars traditionally stay live for 20 minutes after ignition is off, doors closed etc. That's how you get the radio left on if sitting in it and it dies. To stop that you open a door. Self fixes I guess are due to the infotainment system starting up a fresh if left for that 20 minutes (20 minutes is the mib2 / Car power out, suspect that's carried over rather than 10 minutes 😐).

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Will be one GPS. Cockpit is driven off a feed from the mib3 unit and just a display. Will be that interconnection software app that's failing or the infotainment system itself not pushing out the display.

The cars traditionally stay live for 20 minutes after ignition is off, doors closed etc. That's how you get the radio left on if sitting in it and it dies. To stop that you open a door. Self fixes I guess are due to the infotainment system starting up a fresh if left for that 20 minutes (20 minutes is the mib2 / Car power out, suspect that's carried over rather than 10 minutes 😐).
I was told by my dealer it takes 20mins

I have found if theres an issue with the link between mib3 and the cockpit is to turn off the ignition open door, wait for cockpit to turn off(screed goes black) then turn the ignition on

Reactions: Tell

NOEL4

Thanks for the info with being one GPS 👍 I took a guess at ten minutes but it must've been twenty as that makes sense.. I had noticed the Infotainment screen still showing stuff even with engine off but have been switching the screen off while waiting in car on occasion. Much to learn with this car lol..alot more tech than I'm used to with previous cars😄

Last edited by a moderator:

NOEL4

I have found if theres an issue with the link between mib3 and the cockpit is to turn off the ignition open door, wait for cockpit to turn off(screed goes black) then turn the ignition on
Thanks I will try that next time it happens👍

Tell

Staff member

Glad dealer agrees with me :love:. That's the power down time on the old system but unlikely to change. That the time slice I use for Mib2 High backend updates with the right FeC... saves sitting in the care for 45 mines and opening the door every 15 minutes.... I know I can get into the house and get back out and open the door in 15 minutes to keep power going to the unit.

The latter is probably another power cycle one unless that's the 20 mins. Unless you wait out the full 20 mins. Part of the unit must keep live for connect services which are 24/7 as I understand.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.