Disconnecting the battery

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I plan to disconnect the battery at the end of each Sunday to stop me having to jump start it again each weekend (I don't use the car through the week). I'm not likely to harm anything by this am I? Is the ECU OK not having any power to it at all for periods of time?

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
itll be fine though your battery shouldnt be dieing after a weeks inactivity, i left mine in the airport carpark for just over two weeks, and she started first time, no hesitation.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Nope, totally standard. I've tried turning off the internal sensors without effect.

Does anyone know if the alarm has a specific fuse? I'd like to try isolating that to see if it could be anything else.

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
You need to get a voltmeter on your battery so you can see the drain and then start pulling fuses systematically (sp?) to find and issolate your problem... had to do this with my Corrado just recently and although it's slow and a royal PITA I did find the faul - which coincidently was the alarm :D

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
you could get these solar panel chargers that slowy charge your battery, ideal if the car is parked for abit,

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Try pulling bulbs out in the boot and glove box too, just in case one of those isn't turning off when it should.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Right, the week is up and the battery has been disconnected all week in the freezing cold and snow.

Connected up and it started fine, so I guess the motor shop are right, there is nothing wrong with the battery, my car must be draining it.

Drove 1/2 mile down the road and a coil pack failed! Bloody marvelous. (I thought that their problem was heat not cold!)

Nov 28, 2006
The coil packs just fail randomly I think. 2 of mine went at start up but they can just go whenever. I used to carry a spare in the glove box.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I had a spare so it wasn't a big deal, although I did manage to break the plastic tab on the connector as it was dark and I could not see what I was doing.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise