DIY hardwire dashcam installation

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Fitted my dashcam today and thought I'd write it up. There are various ways to hardwire but I tapped into the cig lighter so it comes on/off with the car.

Parts

dashcam01.JPG

Dashcam
USB cable
Piggy back fuse tap and fuse for the camera (I used a 3 amp fuse) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251650492205
12v to 5v USB step down module - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161152971980
Various tools (torx screwdriver, trim pry tool, zip ties)

Installation:

Drop down the glovebox by pusing in the tabs on the side, this will give you access to the fuse box, locate the cig lighter fuse (its the yellow 20 amp that is lower down that the others in the same row)

dashcam02.JPG

Remove the fuse, plug the dashcam fuse into the fuse tap in the slot inline with the live cable and the 20 amp cig lighter fuse into the other slot. Place the fuse tap back into the car

dashcam03.JPG

Crimp the live cable from the fuse tap to the live cable on the USB module and attach securely to the car using double sided sticky pads and zip tie. I took the side dash panel out for easier access and for a place to mount the module. Attach the ground cable to screw circled.

dashcam04.JPG

At this point I connected the dashcam and started the car to check both the dashcam and cig lighter worked.

If you haven't done so already, mount the dashcam to the windscreen. Plug in the USB cable to the dashcam and slot the cable into the headliner and run along to the passenger side A piller.

dashcam05.JPG

Continue to slot the cable along the top of the A pillar trim and into the door seal, it is tight at the top of the pillar, I got a bit frustrated and ended up pulling the pillar out.

dashcam06.JPG

dashcam07.JPG

dashcam08.JPG

Carry on running it all the way down to where you put the usb port. I ran the cable and port to the panel where the footwell light is so I can just unscrew the panel to access it.

dashcam09.JPG

Pic of it from drivers side and outside

dashcam10.JPG

dashcam11.JPG

The longest part for me was aiming the camera. The field of view is so wide and I wanted to mount it as high and as close to mirror base as possible but because the mirror base is so big it was getting into the camera shot.

Turn on, test, and enjoy!

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
thanks - makes it look easy.....:)
I saw a thread a while back about moving the aux power/cigar lighter fuse so it's permanently live, not just when ignition's on, and it was done by dropping the fuse so it was half on one line and half on another, which seems to be where yours was to start with?
is it on all the time, or ignition linked?

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
You move it up in line with the others to have it permanent live. I kept it switched live as I only need it on when I'm driving :)

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Thanks for sorting out the links :)

The ground wire is the black one off the USB module. I stripped it back a bit, unscrewed the torx screw circled and just placed it behind the panel where the screw goes into bare metal. The screw itself is coated so wasn't sure if it would ground.

I bought a Mini 0805 dashcam from Gearbest. Took just under 2 weeks to arrive and luckily didn't get caught by customs. There's a discount code floating around if you Google, got it for £50 delivered.

Last edited:

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
Great write up, thanks!

With its wide field of view could you fit this camera just about anywhere on the screen or does it need to be top centre behind the rear view mirror?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Couple of last questions...... :)

Can you put the memory card into a card reader to download the video files or do you have to plug the whole camera into the computer?
Does the camera automatically save the video in segments I.e 5mins each for example or is it one big video file?

I noticed the mini 0805 camera requires a windows pc but I have a Mac so that's why I'm wovering about just plugging the card into a reader instead.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Great write up, thanks!

With its wide field of view could you fit this camera just about anywhere on the screen or does it need to be top centre behind the rear view mirror?

You can put it almost anywhere but centre top behind the mirror would be the most discreet and least distracting. Where I have mine I just miss the mirror base coming into view but catch the bottom of the passenger side A pillar. I do get almost the full width of the bonnet though. This would obviously differ for different cams. Just went for a drive but then realised I still have the sticky plastic on the lens so quality wasn't great :happy: I'll get some shots up next time.

Couple of last questions...... :)

Can you put the memory card into a card reader to download the video files or do you have to plug the whole camera into the computer?
Does the camera automatically save the video in segments I.e 5mins each for example or is it one big video file?

I noticed the mini 0805 camera requires a windows pc but I have a Mac so that's why I'm wovering about just plugging the card into a reader instead.

Either way would work, I take the card out and put it into a card reader and play the MOV files using Registrator Viewer. It saves having to take the dashcam off the base everytime.

There's different options on the video loop time, off (one continuous file) or 1/3/5 minute segments.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Is there a module you can buy for cigarette lighter plug rather than USB? Mine doesn't have a detachable USB at the plug end.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Is there a module you can buy for cigarette lighter plug rather than USB? Mine doesn't have a detachable USB at the plug end.

What dashcam do you have? When I was looking around I didn't find one that didn't have a usb port at the camera end for power, they all come with a usb to cigarette lighter plug but I bought a right angle usb to usb cable to hardware it in. I have used one of these in my previous car for a camera detector and didn't have any issues.

Great install guide Terry, thank you. Seriously thinking of getting a dash cam and this one (0805) gets good reviews. You got any cam shots to post up yet?

Thanks. I don't have any shots yet but there are loads on Youtube :)

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I bought this one from Vebox. 6 foot used for the install was just long enough to get it below the glove box and onto the footwell light panel. It's quite thin for a USB cable which is handy for routing in the car but I was worried about it providing enough power but so far it seems ok but haven't been on a long drive yet.

Last edited:

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Rob, take a look here https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/

If you order from Gear Best use promo code GB0805 for $23 discount off the price!

Great thanks Chris, really useful link - as is the code :)

Thanks. I don't have any shots yet but there are loads on Youtube :)

Perfect thank you Terry :)

Reading above, am I right in thinking to hardware you need to hardwire is:
1. the fuse piggyback,
2. 12v to 5v step down to sub
3. A right angled 6ft usb cable (or did you use the one that came with the cam?)

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I've ordered that one to try it. Hopefully it will be fine, I'm sure the camera doesn't need much power.

Hopefully that's everything ordered, just need to wait for the camera to arrive now!

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Great thanks Chris, really useful link - as is the code :)

Perfect thank you Terry :)

Reading above, am I right in thinking to hardware you need to hardwire is:
1. the fuse piggyback,
2. 12v to 5v step down to sub
3. A right angled 6ft usb cable (or did you use the one that came with the cam?)

Yep, and a fuse as the piggy back adapter doesn't come with one, I used a 3 amp fuse to feed the camera. The power lead that comes with the camera is a cigarette lighter plug so I bought the usb cable to plug into the USB module, right angle so it doesn't stick out as much.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Yep, and a fuse as the piggy back adapter doesn't come with one, I used a 3 amp fuse to feed the camera. The power lead that comes with the camera is a cigarette lighter plug so I bought the usb cable to plug into the USB module, right angle so it doesn't stick out as much.

Ah ok, thanks Terry - you've probably made my wallet a bit lighter today now!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise