Do HID kits lead to bulb warning light?

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
From what I understand it depends on your car, if your car is one of the facelifted ones then possibly. To my knowledge the pre facelift does not have bulb warning on the dipped and main beam lights.

JoshRedCupra

May 11, 2015
Essex
Thanks, it's not much so I may as well give it a go!

Do you know if they can be used as both dipped and main beam lights?

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
No idea on the main beam, I would guess not.

You would need a higher wattage set, to match the output of the bulbs, otherwise you would have two dipped beams per headlight. This leads to it's own problems.

You have to take into account the glare they produce, as it may not pass an MOT.
The delay in the beams warming up, depending on the kit and the power, it may take a couple of seconds for the full beam to actually work. Kinda useless for a quick flash. [B)]
The reflectors are not designed for HID's so the light may be all over the place and not on the road.
The heat, the HID's at full power produce a lot of heat, and I have heard of melting the plastic in the headlight.

If someone has done this it would be interesting to know how they did it.

be careful with HID's this set looks pretty suspicious to me... do they come with ballast??? there isnt a picture of a ballast in the listing and the price hints to me that they dont....

hids will work with the facelift but you have to get a set of canbus compatible ones to not get the warning light to show the bulbs are blown.........

i recently purchased a set of these from a ebay seller and it seems they lied on the listing... i still get the warning and mine flicker aswell. they cost me £18 so now im arguing with them to give me my money back...

stay away from the brand i just bought called sunwolf...

type HIDs4u into google and look at getting a set from them. they will cost more money but are much better quality... teaches me for going cheap...

also for the main beam they are absolutly fine the highbeam bulb is the same power as the dipped beam it just has a different adjustment to the dipped beam bulb so it aims higher... thus giving you more light......

JoshRedCupra

May 11, 2015
Essex
I've already bought a set of sunwoif ones last week! :eek:

Hopefully they might be okay!!!

EDIT: I'm not paying £95 for HIDS from that sight you said :p

Last edited:

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
I'd avoid HID's all together. They run too hot and I've heard way too many horror stories involving fire and plenty of cases involving the police.

A nice set of LED's are what I'm looking at currently. However I'm not sure on the legalities so I'm looking into that at the moment. I read a review on a guy who fit LEDS too his TVR and they were very impressive.

Last edited: