Does anyone recommend an Altea

Tell

Staff member
I'm always perplexed and amused by male ego trippers on boards. Your wrong, I'm right type of thing. It's called flaming.

Now this board has helped a lot of people on the Altea, it isn't suppose to be whether it is a good or bad car, I don't think, but a meeting point for people with it or are thinking about it. It's stupid and childish I would suggest to invade a board and start telling everybody that they made the wrong decision, when clearly people here don't have that view. It makes you look a bit like a Charlie.

The last Which review gave the car a good right up except visibility but all cars have that issue these days. That post you quote is just one negative comment against hundreds of positive posts on this board since July 2004, so it hardly says anything.

Last edited:

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
Tell said:
and childish I would suggest to invade a board and start telling everybody that they made the wrong decision, when clearly people here don't have that view. It makes you look a bit like a Charlie.

Well I kinda thought we'd come to an accomadation on the matter in the thread, but since you feel it a good idea to prod the sleeping dog....

Tell said:
I'm always perplexed and amused by male ego trippers on boards. Your wrong, I'm right type of thing. It's called flaming.
Precisely what you're doing.

I was quite clearly addressing the individual who was considering an Altea, not those who have one. You seem to think that an opinion is only valid if you agree. I'm hardly 'invading' a forum when I've been on SCN since early 2004...

I can't see why anyone would buy a pseudo MPV, that goes for Picassos et al too. An MPV I can see, extra seating easy access etc. But not something which is styled as an MPV but isn't.

It's your dollar, you knock yourself out.

One thing seems clear though, Altea drivers seem to take themselves far too seriously in this unscientific poll.

So if you think not seeing the point in an Altea makes me a 'Charlie' then I must be guilty as charged.

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
Owned one for a year now.....

Love the comfort
Love the performance
Love the driving position
Love the looks
Love the space
Love the build quality
Love the reliability
Love the individuality

And no, I dont have any kids, dont need an MPV. But I like the high driving position and the car doesnt take up any more road space than a boring, yawn yawn common VW Golf, so why not have something different? I think SEAT has done a fantastic job on this car and a year on I'm still grinning from ear to ear.

Distant Sun

Contains mild peril
Sep 9, 2005
Belfast
WatchHill said:
One thing seems clear though, Altea drivers seem to take themselves far too seriously in this unscientific poll.

That's a big brush you're tarring us all with:p

I hope all this is helping V5TDi come to a decision on an Altea. There's nothing wrong with getting opinions from both sides of the fence, as long as it's all constructive comment.

WatchHill, I'm still waiting on those choccy biccys, your tea's getting cold;)

Tell

Staff member
I agree with you on that one Altea Dude.... and I didn't buy it for the kids either, but I could go upto a five cat family now, but I'll stick at two ;). I find it's easy to load the cat carriers in and out without bashing my head ;).

You can get 20 bottles of wine under the front seats handy for those Euro trips to bring back the tipple and being a DSG I need not worry about the partner crunching the gears as they use to in my old car. They love it when I say you can boot it up now, since it flys. We manage to pack it full when doing the Xmas shopping trip to Luxembourg and Germany so that extra vertical space comes in handy :).

T. Spark

Im considering this as my next car and im only 20! Will wait till the FR version is out, take a test drive....

Then, see what the Leon FR/Cupra version do for my money!

I like the styling and personally believe the Altea looks very smart on Red! hehe!

I dont have a family, and dont think I will any time soon, but I saw a Altea last year lowered, some nice zorst and a bodykit and it looked like a beast! If the FR has the 2.0TDi with 170bhp should remap to 210bhp and lots and lots of torque, that will upset alot of "hot hatches" :D

Just my idea of fun :D

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
Distant Sun said:
That's a big brush you're tarring us all with:p

Sorry fella. Just a bit grumpy as I didn't realise that suggesting that (IMO obviously) Alteas weren't the dogs danglies was akin to suggesting Mohammed likes a drink.

Distant Sun said:
WatchHill, I'm still waiting on those choccy biccys, your tea's getting cold;)

Sorry, the staff ate them - had to pop out to the shops.

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
Tell said:
I agree with you on that one Altea Dude.... and I didn't buy it for the kids either, but I could go upto a five cat family now, but I'll stick at two ;). I find it's easy to load the cat carriers in and out without bashing my head ;)

I never realised you were a cat fan, now I take it all back (all the rude things I said about you in my head that is) you can't be a bad sort if you like cats.
If you'd said that you bought it for cat carrier comfort I'd have understood.
(no sarcasm, the Leon isn't quite cat carrier dimensioned)

loadswine

loadswine
Having mentioned this subject, I feel I should say that I do not wish to offend anyone's religious beliefs. The Danish cartoons were an affront to many IMO.

Just trying to agree with previous posts about things getting out of hand.

V5TDi

Well, thanks for everyones comments - if everyone liked exactly the same thing then the world would be a pretty boring place to live.

Considering an Altea as I will be buying second hand and there seem to be some keen prices out there. I had some worries from reading other threads that they were problematic cars with poor build, but that doesn't seem to be the message that comes across.

We'll be off to look at some soon to see for ourselves.

Thanks for all the posts

hannie2002

my wife has a 1.9tdi ref sport......i love it....great handling ...just needs more power....get the FR
polkr has ur lass had any probs with her 1.9 tdi m8 i cant find that message with the new map on m8 do u know where it it is cheers richie/hannie

jtmac

Rattles and the impression of not built like their old Leon/Toledo/etc. seem to be the issue for many of those that aren't as happy with their Alteas. So listen out on your test drive.

I'm more than happy with my Altea. I've only got the 1.9tdi Ref. Sport, but it's my first diesel and i'm a convert.

I'm with Altea Dude. Don't have kids. Dog is a border terrier not a st.bernard. I just always liked the look of them and then liked it on the test drive.

I think it's one of those things that clicks with you or it doesn't. My I guess is that if you come on here asking about an Altea you are already more pro-altea than anti. At the stage where I was lurking on here reading all the Altea posts, I was already quite taken with the idea of getting one.

If anyone thinks that us Altea owners are enthusiastic about our 'Multi-Sports-Vehicles', you should hear us rave about our elastic-waist trousers and shackleton arm-chairs. ;)

Tell

Staff member
Well I'm happy with mine and I don't have kids or a St Bernard, my brother did but kept one car for that purposes an old banger which tilted when the dog moved when driving.... so they would arrive as a family with two cars, the family car and the St Bernard carrier... err they die early so perhaps like cars steer clear of St Bernard's if you don't want the tear jerks. Big vet bills as well never mind Seat / VW service costs :D.

Mine started rattling a little before I parked it up to go on holiday, but I'm going to track the rattle down if it hasn't stopped in the next period. May be be speakers I put in need to be tightened up. Drive a Brazilian VW if you think that Seat cars rattle - LOL ;). A VW Passat door handle came off in the partner hand on a wine tour and that wasn't the wine.

My theory is that the build quality is reduced on cars after the production line has been running for a bit. My first car an Uno was always more solid than the partners that rattled. I'm pushing them in the direction of a Leon but it won't happen.

You can't beat a diesel and it's obvious that you have the onboard sound system turned up enough to cover creaks and wind noise... that's why you need good speakers ;).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.