Door ding protection options

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If residents in the flats complex have designated spaces, you could always have a word with whoever will be parking next to you.

I think the main problem with those magnetic ding protectors is that they still leave unprotected bodywork panels or sections of a car’s side panels. Also, because different vehicles are different heights and have different door profiles, attachement of these protectors might stop parking dings from a ‘normal’ small / medium sized car, but not a large 4x4. I had a mk5 VW Golf that had bodyside protection mouldings, like many cars did in the 1990’s and 2000’s. I picked up a parking ding in an airport car park above the protective moulding - probably by a 4x4, judging by the position of the damage.

Saw this on the BBC website recently - someone’s been resourceful and made their own DIY version of those magnetic strips;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47121586

I actually parked on that car park recently, and that car was there with it’s DIY parking protectors fitted!

Last edited:

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
If residents in the flats complex have designated spaces, you could always have a word with whoever will be parking next to you.

I think the main problem with those magnetic ding protectors is that they still leave unprotected bodywork panels or sections of a car’s side panels. Also, because different vehicles are different heights and have different door profiles, attachement of these protectors might stop parking dings from a ‘normal’ small / medium sized car, but not a large 4x4. I had a mk5 VW Golf that had bodyside protection mouldings, like many cars did in the 1990’s and 2000’s. I picked up a parking ding in an airport car park above the protective moulding - probably by a 4x4, judging by the position of the damage.

Saw this on the BBC website recently - someone’s been resourceful and made their own DIY version of those magnetic strips;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47121586

I actually parked on that car park recently, and that car was there with it’s DIY parking protectors fitted!
Thatd be me

"1 sec love ive got to put on the steering lock and parking noodle"

leon mk1 cupra

Reactions: zeffania

silles

May 4, 2017
2019-04-17.jpg

Bought this one, one side is now well covered, the other is empty parking spot
Time will tell how useful this thing is

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Saw this on the BBC website recently - someone’s been resourceful and made their own DIY version of those magnetic strips

And there looks to be dents in the foam where it's already been hit. LOL. On the MK2 there's a line in the centre of each panel that sticks out slightly further. It always seems to lose paint first. But I would like something more subtle. Work already think I'm crazy. However, I did manage to get my car dinked and scratched already this week!! No idea how when the space next to me has about 3 feet of space.

CYFde9w.jpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It doesn't even have to be on the door... :censored:

Seriously, how hard must they have hit it to do that!? That looks worse than when we had the gale force winds and some woman let her door go into my fr.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Ouch, that hurts. Hope you caught the 4r$e who did it?
Oh yes, the wife saw her do it. Some stupid person in an old Qashqui. Looked at it and said "I didn't do it" despite there being blue paint on the edge of her door. She then promptly walked off. There is a lot more I could say but ...
Had a quote from a chap who has done work for me before, under £200. Not worth going through insurance as excess is £500 and insurance is high enough already coz of area we live in and where wife works. Really annoying bit is I told her to take my work motor but you know what women are like...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.