dpf fuel economy

smilley792

May 1, 2008
i know its my second thread about dpf in the last 2days,

but i was just talking fuel consumption with a mate when my head clicked.

know when i put £30 in my tank it said i could do 290 miles., after 200 miles it said i could do 90, which was pretty accurate, then in the next 15 miles i did it dropped to 30 miles.
my first thoughts where the design of the petrol tank caused this, but then the dpf light came on.

so mky question, does the dpf starting to block. cause fule consumption to rise?

if so it may be worth me taking random blasts just to keep the dam thing from blocking in the first place

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
YES, regeneration of the DPF is done by the injectors injecting additional diesel into the waste chamber after burn, this diesel is then used to ignite / burn off the soot caught within the DPF at high temperature to reduce emissions.

There is a whole wiki on the subject of DPF and how it works if you want to get really geeky with it :)

nog

Sep 18, 2007
Shropshire
know when i put £30 in my tank it said i could do 290 miles., after 200 miles it said i could do 90, which was pretty accurate, then in the next 15 miles i did it dropped to 30 miles.

Mine does this too - without a DPF. Computer says I will get 560 miles from a tank full until the last 100 miles where it all changes. I frequently park the car showing 30 miles left then start it the next morning to find a big fat 0.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Mine does this too - without a DPF. Computer says I will get 560 miles from a tank full until the last 100 miles where it all changes. I frequently park the car showing 30 miles left then start it the next morning to find a big fat 0.

Damn, been syphoning off your diesel a little at a time each night, thought you hadnt noticed! :whistle:

smilley792

May 1, 2008

in that note then, i would probably say it down to the design of the fuel tank, maybe it not as wide as the bottom.

what engines in yours, i wonder if down pipe and stuff can be used from a pd150 to replace the dpf on the 170?

Last edited:

redwell

Just on this note - what are people seeing mpg wise with the FR TDi with the DPF? Please tell me it is above 40mpg???

on_the_verge

Dec 22, 2007
On average I think mine is about 42mpg, can be up to 46mpg on a run. Which is I reckon pretty good, but if I have some fun it can be 25mpg.

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
If you're REALLY early for work/wherever you're going, you can get 53+mpg.

If you have that much free time on a regular basis, I suggest you take up stalactite formation watching. ;)

Average trip for me when I was commuting up/down the A19 between Thirsk and York (windy A road single carriageway with a few overtaking places) I got between 38 and 50mpg average, depending on how fast I was going.

The trip used to be 35 miles total and I managed it in 25 mins. That's when I got 38.

redwell

I just want to improve on 32 mpg and 440 miles a tank and still have some fun ;) :D

Anything over 40 will be great for me.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.