DPF issue help - P2458

Aug 4, 2020
Did you clean your dpf after repairing the engine ? If not your dpf is full of ash.

What is the diff pressure after a regen ?

Hi @alextz yes. The filter was cleaned with solvents and it was in good conditions.
@Brian Gordon-Stables I used the oil Castrol 5W30 Long Life, as suggested by VW.

I think the issue is likely as yours but more frequent. I was thinking that the membrane of the G450 sensor could not withstand the pressure and would trigger the regen without giving an error but I dunno at this point. The new sensors cost 500 $ if bought original from VW, that's why I would first try with used ones to check if anything changes.

I'll screenshot the APP once on it.

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
I have already changed the sensor ( CUPA has only g505) but to no change.
It's 80E at the dealer.

Please take out the sensors and try to blow in the pipes coming to them. This might help.

Reactions: domacher85
Dec 5, 2020
Hi guys, I own a VW golf 1.6 TDI 110hp (year 2015 and 70000 miles). Shortly, I have the same issue as yours, or worse, and I'd be happy to contribute (for what's possible). Using the VAG DPF app since a year now, early on I spotted the car was regenerating every 30 km (20 miles), and consuming 1L oil engine every 1000km (0.42 gallons every 1000 miles). Short story short, I had bought the car as second hand so I and the car dealer repaired the car. Our hypotesis was that the engine oil was making the DPF filter dirty, triggering regenerations which by turn would dilute the oil with diesel, and so the oil would get though the clamps. We opened the entire engine. We found ovaal cylinders and had to rectify the whole engine. Problem is, the oil problem was solved, the DPF regeneration not. I keep having constant regens every 20 miles and the app has the same behaviour as yours, ramping up the soot mass calc. from low % to 100% in seconds. Before rectifying the engine I also changed a DPF sensor (G450), which wasn't giving any faults but the car electrician said it was reading wrong numbers. Of course it didn't solve the problem. Maybe also the one he installed isn't good? What to say, I'm now getting along with this issue, as the car regenerates very very often, almost every time I use it ( and I use it mainly on highway).

What's left to try in my opinion is:
  1. replace both g450 sensors with new ones or second hand ones from a junkyard;
  2. worse, maybe it is the ECU which is giving faulty values? Should it be remapped or replaced? $$$
Any help is more than welcome if you find a solution.

@Brian Gordon-Stables @Skilledmilk @alextz

I’m experiencing the same problem as you. My 135 kw Leon consumes around 0.7 liters of oil every 1000 km. Can you explain to me how you fixed the oil consumption?

Leon FR 184

Mar 14, 2021
My 2015 FR 184 just came up with the DPF regen warning, regen carried out and light now off.

My question is what OBD reader and apps are available that will tell me when a DPF regen is required and what the full level of the DPF is before it gets to the point of the warning coming on.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My 2015 FR 184 just came up with the DPF regen warning, regen carried out and light now off.

My question is what OBD reader and apps are available that will tell me when a DPF regen is required and what the full level of the DPF is before it gets to the point of the warning coming on.
The best app is 'VAG DPF' for Android. I use it with a Carista OBD reader, but I'm sure any Bluetooth OBD reader will do. A couple of reasons the light comes on are because it's tried several times to do a complete regen cycle, but has been interrupted each time., and that the DPF ash is at capacity.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

I use a Carista OBD dongle and VAG DPF app to monitor my DPF regens. Not sure what the trigger point is for your DPF warning light but it shouldn't be coming on if your car is completing it's regens properly. I have seen the relevant information on-line somewhere.

What;s your mileage and what sort of driving do you do?

Leon FR 184

Mar 14, 2021
The best app is 'VAG DPF' for Android. I use it with a Carista OBD reader, but I'm sure any Bluetooth OBD reader will do. A couple of reasons the light comes on are because it's tried several times to do a complete regen cycle, but has been interrupted each time., and that the DPF ash is at capacity.
I use a Carista OBD dongle and VAG DPF app to monitor my DPF regens. Not sure what the trigger point is for your DPF warning light but it shouldn't be coming on if your car is completing it's regens properly. I have seen the relevant information on-line somewhere.

What;s your mileage and what sort of driving do you do?

Wife drives it, I only see it at weekends. She’s been told the characteristics when it’s doing a regen so light will not come on as it’ll get to finish from now on.

Is the VAG dpf app available on iPhone and is Carista the best OBD to go for?

86K miles and once every week or two it doing a 60 mile round trip on bypass at 70mph. Will now be doing it in 5th one way

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Wife drives it, I only see it at weekends. She’s been told the characteristics when it’s doing a regen so light will not come on as it’ll get to finish from now on.

Is the VAG dpf app available on iPhone and is Carista the best OBD to go for?

86K miles and once every week or two it doing a 60 mile round trip on bypass at 70mph. Will now be doing it in 5th one way

I think VAG DPF is only Android.

You can probably get any OBD device (I don't know enough about it) but Carista are well reviewed.

Don't forget that driving it in 5th will only work if it's actually doing a regen. Otherwise, you just use more fuel!

Leon FR 184

Mar 14, 2021
I think VAG DPF is only Android.

You can probably get any OBD device (I don't know enough about it) but Carista are well reviewed.

Don't forget that driving it in 5th will only work if it's actually doing a regen. Otherwise, you just use more fuel!

Thought so as could find it in App Store.

Yeah I know, wife has also been made aware what to look out for when it’s carrying out a regen. Higher revs at idle and fan going mental so she shouldn’t turn it off if it’s carrying out a regen now

Reactions: BillyCool
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.