DPF issue help - P2458

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
Both variants have been taken into account. That DPF is having issues or car soots the DPF.
Only issue detected and fixed was with the injectors. That should have only produced Soot but not Ash. Car behaves the same !

DPF regens completly and correctly (as I can see from VAGDPF/VCDS/OBD11).
I have to test the MAF but in the VCDS plausability tests that is OK.

Oil changed every 6000 miles. Have run Shell Helix Ultra 0w-30 507.00 (actually what VW bottles as 0w-30) and lately Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Both variants have been taken into account. That DPF is having issues or car soots the DPF.
Only issue detected and fixed was with the injectors. That should have only produced Soot but not Ash. Car behaves the same !

DPF regens completly and correctly (as I can see from VAGDPF/VCDS/OBD11).
I have to test the MAF but in the VCDS plausability tests that is OK.

Oil changed every 6000 miles. Have run Shell Helix Ultra 0w-30 507.00 (actually what VW bottles as 0w-30) and lately Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.

Would still be helpful to know your current ash value from VAG DPF.

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
Just after a regen:

1594127167990.png

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK

Thanks - the reason I asked is that my 184 has done 100,000 miles and my Oil Ash Residue is 50%, whereas yours is 62%. I'm wondering whether your car has done either a higher mileage - based on my cars figures, your car has 124,000 miles worth of ash residue. Or that due to more regular regens your car just produces more ash. Either way, the DPF will reach it's end of life sooner than it should.

Have you thought about an engine carbon clean? I had one done and they also do a full diagnostics. Really good for checking that all the other sensors were working as they should and helps you understand why you might be getting an early regen. You can see from my figures that my car did a regen after 168 miles.

I don't know what is causing your car to regen so often but something doesn't sound quite right. Has it been run on premium fuel?

DPF 7.7.20.png

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
Hello,

I do not know how the ash content is calculated. In the old EA189 it was just a simple calculation based on km. In this case it seems it does not work like that.
I have the full car history so the mileage is accurate.

I think that a bad injector(s) caused regens before. Now I am running with injectors from a car with 40k km and consumption is way better.
Will clean the DPF and see what happens.

@Brian Gordon-Stables can you please post a picture after regen when idling? I want to see what your differential pressure is like. Thank you!

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hello,

I do not know how the ash content is calculated. In the old EA189 it was just a simple calculation based on km. In this case it seems it does not work like that.
I have the full car history so the mileage is accurate.

I think that a bad injector(s) caused regens before. Now I am running with injectors from a car with 40k km and consumption is way better.
Will clean the DPF and see what happens.

@Brian Gordon-Stables can you please post a picture after regen when idling? I want to see what your differential pressure is like. Thank you!

Yeah - no idea how ash content works but just increases a tiny amount after each regen, hence my rough calculation v's mileage.

This is an older screenshot of my car post regen. I'll get a newer one when I take the car out and will post that later.

Screenshot_20200323-185933.png

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
Yep. Maybe if you can check it right after a regen for a correct comparison

As a trick you can put VAGDPF to monitor for group 0 CRBC CLHA to show you soot mass measured also.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyCool

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
@Brian Gordon-Stables did you monitor after a regen the diff pressure?

Not yet - I did a 550 mile journey last week and it did a regen at 220 miles (more than my usual 180 with local driving) and then 190. As I was on the motorway, I wasn't in a position to monitor the idle diff pressure. Next time is regens when I'm driving locally I'll be able to check and let you know.

Reactions: alextz

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
So you have roughly the same differential pressure as me but I should have more oil ash. Can you try the trick I said to put group 0 manually and check measured soot?
Maybe after 50-80 miles ?

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
Small update on my side. Changed injectors/ cleaned dpf and still I get the same behaviour.
Soot mass measured shoots up the roof if I m driving slow. Either a bad sensor doing havoc or overfueling at slow speeds.

Aug 4, 2020
Small update on my side. Changed injectors/ cleaned dpf and still I get the same behaviour.
Soot mass measured shoots up the roof if I m driving slow. Either a bad sensor doing havoc or overfueling at slow speeds.
Hi guys, I own a VW golf 1.6 TDI 110hp (year 2015 and 70000 miles). Shortly, I have the same issue as yours, or worse, and I'd be happy to contribute (for what's possible). Using the VAG DPF app since a year now, early on I spotted the car was regenerating every 30 km (20 miles), and consuming 1L oil engine every 1000km (0.42 gallons every 1000 miles). Short story short, I had bought the car as second hand so I and the car dealer repaired the car. Our hypotesis was that the engine oil was making the DPF filter dirty, triggering regenerations which by turn would dilute the oil with diesel, and so the oil would get though the clamps. We opened the entire engine. We found ovaal cylinders and had to rectify the whole engine. Problem is, the oil problem was solved, the DPF regeneration not. I keep having constant regens every 20 miles and the app has the same behaviour as yours, ramping up the soot mass calc. from low % to 100% in seconds. Before rectifying the engine I also changed a DPF sensor (G450), which wasn't giving any faults but the car electrician said it was reading wrong numbers. Of course it didn't solve the problem. Maybe also the one he installed isn't good? What to say, I'm now getting along with this issue, as the car regenerates very very often, almost every time I use it ( and I use it mainly on highway).

What's left to try in my opinion is:
  1. replace both g450 sensors with new ones or second hand ones from a junkyard;
  2. worse, maybe it is the ECU which is giving faulty values? Should it be remapped or replaced? $$$
Any help is more than welcome if you find a solution.

@Brian Gordon-Stables @Skilledmilk @alextz

Last edited:

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi guys, I own a VW golf 1.6 TDI 110hp (year 2015 and 70000 miles). Shortly, I have the same issue as yours, or worse, and I'd be happy to contribute (for what's possible). Using the VAG DPF app since a year now, early on I spotted the car was regenerating every 30 km (20 miles), and consuming 1L oil engine every 1000km (0.42 gallons every 1000 miles). Short story short, I had bought the car as second hand so I and the car dealer repaired the car. Our hypotesis was that the engine oil was making the DPF filter dirty, triggering regenerations which by turn would dilute the oil with diesel, and so the oil would get though the clamps. We opened the entire engine. We found ovaal cylinders and had to rectify the whole engine. Problem is, the oil problem was solved, the DPF regeneration not. I keep having constant regens every 20 miles and the app has the same behaviour as yours, ramping up the soot mass calc. from low % to 100% in seconds. Before rectifying the engine I also changed a DPF sensor (G450), which wasn't giving any faults but the car electrician said it was reading wrong numbers. Of course it didn't solve the problem. Maybe also the one he installed isn't good? What to say, I'm now getting along with this issue, as the car regenerates very very often, almost every time I use it ( and I use it mainly on highway).

What's left to try in my opinion is:
  1. replace both g450 sensors with new ones or second hand ones from a junkyard;
  2. worse, maybe it is the ECU which is giving faulty values? Should it be remapped or replaced? $$$
Any help is more than welcome if you find a solution.

@Brian Gordon-Stables @Skilledmilk @alextz

Hi @domacher85 - sorry to hear you are having issues.

On your VAG DPF app, what is the Oil Ash Residue figure? I'm wondering whether your DPF is full of oil residue and near it's end of life. Also worth changing the G450 sensors. I'd get new ones as 2nd hand could be faulty.

Not sure what else to suggest. What oil has been used in it?

alextz

Jun 24, 2020
Did you clean your dpf after repairing the engine ? If not your dpf is full of ash.

What is the diff pressure after a regen ?