DPF warning light (help)

Rocky8196

Apr 20, 2021
So whilst driving on the motorway the Diesel particulate filter warning light came on but after driving at higher speeds for about 15-20mins it went off.

I own a 2017 2L Diesel Leon FR, i dont really do long motorway journeys so i assume this is the cause since the car does not get to regen correctly.

What can i do going ahead to avoid the light coming on again?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I owned two VW diesels with DPF’s and I rarely did long motorway journeys, and during 9-10 years ownership of those cars I didn’t have any DPF related issues.

You’ve not said what type of journeys you normally drive, only that you don’t do really long motorway journeys. I used to do roughly 1/3 short journeys (of less than 10 miles) and 2/3 longer journeys (usually around 25+ miles), and periodically on those longer journeys, once the engine was fully up to temperature I’d drive in a lower gear for a half hour or so to keep the engine rpm’s up and increase the exhaust temperature to help the DPF passively regenerate and burn off soot accumulations. If I was aware the car was in the process of performing an active DPF regeneration in built up areas (tell tale signs = increased rpms in stop start traffic, gear change indicator recommending changing down a gear, a ‘hot’ smell, engine fan running), I’d keep driving the car until the regen was complete, even if it meant extending my journey by a few miles.

If you’re normal driving is predominantly short journeys when the engine might not be getting up to optimum temperature and you experience frequent active DPF regenerations, it‘d be worth considering taking your car on a decent longer run every week or so to help keep the DPF free of excessive soot accumulations.

Rocky8196

Apr 20, 2021
I owned two VW diesels with DPF’s and I rarely did long motorway journeys, and during 9-10 years ownership of those cars I didn’t have any DPF related issues.

You’ve not said what type of journeys you normally drive, only that you don’t do really long motorway journeys. I used to do roughly 1/3 short journeys (of less than 10 miles) and 2/3 longer journeys (usually around 25+ miles), and periodically on those longer journeys, once the engine was fully up to temperature I’d drive in a lower gear for a half hour or so to keep the engine rpm’s up and increase the exhaust temperature to help the DPF passively regenerate and burn off soot accumulations. If I was aware the car was in the process of performing an active DPF regeneration in built up areas (tell tale signs = increased rpms in stop start traffic, gear change indicator recommending changing down a gear, a ‘hot’ smell, engine fan running), I’d keep driving the car until the regen was complete, even if it meant extending my journey by a few miles.

If you’re normal driving is predominantly short journeys when the engine might not be getting up to optimum temperature and you experience frequent active DPF regenerations, it‘d be worth considering taking your car on a decent longer run every week or so to help keep the DPF free of excessive soot accumulations.
Hey man, thanks for the reply.

I have started working from home so the only journeys i do during the weekday are about 2-5 miles to the gym or local supermarket. During the weekend i tend to do a 40 mile journey both ways.

So you are right saying that my car sometimes wont reach optimal temperature because by then i would have completed my short journey. I think i will start adding some longer journeys in more frequently now. I just also came back from my 40mile journey both ways and no lights came on so fingers crossed all good.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members