DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
WHich means what in english - new box .. or strip down and repair what you have?

No, unless someone tells me different, I think I just need a new clutch assembly. On the 020 gearbox, the clutch is back to front.

Pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft.
Then the release plate fits in the middle.
Then the friction plate goes in.
Finally, the flywheel bolts on.

The action of the pushrod on the centre of the release plate pushes the pressure plate off the friction plate.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
No, unless someone tells me different, I think I just need a new clutch assembly. On the 020 gearbox, the clutch is back to front.

Pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft.
Then the release plate fits in the middle.
Then the friction plate goes in.
Finally, the flywheel bolts on.

The action of the pushrod on the centre of the release plate pushes the pressure plate off the friction plate.

So a weekends work with gloves on - James Herriot wouldn't shy away from it ;)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Loving the tags...

Haven't dropped the gearbox yet, too many other things happening. I got a start by undoing the driveshafts tonight anyway.

I've solved my own little mystery anyway. Finding how the 020 clutch release works has really been bugging me. I guessed it was as I've mentioned above and I'd deduced that for it to work that way, the input shaft on the gearbox must be hollow in order for the pushrod to pass through the middle. I've struggled for any confirmation of this - and amongst other sources Haynes Ibiza is really vague.

However, by chance I picked up Haynes Golf Mk4 and the 02K transmission is exactly the same. - The Mk4 has a much much clearer explanation of it all - and as I deduced, the input shaft is hollow.

I'm 99% certain now the release plate has failed, probably because the pushrod has gone through it.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Good to see your on top of it Dave. Its a real pita when this happens but look at the knowledge your gaining, it really is priceless seriously. Life would just be plain boring without a little challenge every now and then.
Looking forward to reading your future post saying its all sorted.;)
On a more worrying note.... the twang of your latex is playing with my mind. :D

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Good to see your on top of it Dave. Its a real pita when this happens but look at the knowledge your gaining, it really is priceless seriously. Life would just be plain boring without a little challenge every now and then.
Looking forward to reading your future post saying its all sorted.;)
On a more worrying note.... the twang of your latex is playing with my mind. :D

Absolutely Carl. PITA, but nothing wrong with a little challenge, and the learning part is fun. I could pay someone to fix it, but I'm running the Mk2 for interest too!

:snap:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Best of luck with it Dave. I did a clutch a many years ago on my Mk2 Golf. The car was on the side of the road outside a mates house, and when I raided his shed all he had was 2 axle stands and a scissor jack.

Getting the driveshafts unconnected and the gearbox off wasn't that hard, but after replacing the clutch getting the gearbox back on as a one man job was bloody hard work (you had to tilt and twist to get the gearbox housing back onto the block). Hopefully your skills seem far beyond mine so you'll be alright mate.

Best of luck!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Best of luck with it Dave. I did a clutch a many years ago on my Mk2 Golf. The car was on the side of the road outside a mates house, and when I raided his shed all he had was 2 axle stands and a scissor jack.

Getting the driveshafts unconnected and the gearbox off wasn't that hard, but after replacing the clutch getting the gearbox back on as a one man job was bloody hard work (you had to tilt and twist to get the gearbox housing back onto the block). Hopefully your skills seem far beyond mine so you'll be alright mate.

Best of luck!

Cheers Warren. Yep, mating the box back up single-handed is the bit I'm not looking forward to.

Threats of Arctic weather at the weekend are making me think I should get it done in the evening beforehand.

<Picks up phone to order parts>

Pedro

I have just logged in to do a search for this - my 2.0 8v has done exactly the same today!!

Clutch pedal to floor, yet the cable still moves the arm on the gearbox fine if you lift it back up by hand. As the arm is on the transmission itself I was thinking new box :(

If it's just a new clutch as you think then I'm overjoyed, it was due a clutch anyway!! :D :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Pressure plate, Release Plate and Friction plate, Roly? :)

(no release bearing)

there is a bearing - but it's not where u think it is - its right on the outside under the proverbial snap/split/breaking lever arm, clutch is back to front effectively with the flywheel over the top

you checked the mech then dave :( sounds like it might have burst through the thrust plate :(

i'll have to check an aftermarket kit tomorrow to see if they are included but off top of my head i think they will be seperate/genuine is though - good news though if it is you might not need a clutch ?

Dave, you'll enjoy gearbox changes - it's a really satisfying job

hahaha - eventually it is

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
For Pedro / DPJ + reference i guess

picture.php

1 - pressure plate
2 - friction plate
3 - kit assy (as genuine)
4 - plate washer for pressure pate to flywheel
5 - crankshaft bolts
6 - thrust plate
7 - thrust plate spring
8 - pressure plate > flywheel bolts
9 - inspection cap (green VWlogo) levers off
10 - thrust bearing
11 - radial shaft / cable arm
12 - splined release arm (common to break or strip splines)
13 - securing clip for release arm
14 - return spring for release arm
15 - stop buffer
16 - seal for radial shaft
17 - push rod (common for pushing through thrust plate #6)
19 - balance weight

in short with pedal pressed down (ish)

cable pulls #11 upwards
#11 twists #12 inwards
presses against #10
pushing #17 inwards
against #6
releasing pressure off #1
releasing #2 for clutch engaged

common faults

#12 bends/breaks/strips splines easily checked by lifting off #9 and inspecting it under operation

#6 breaks open letting #17 burst through it

either way press pedal down - no clutch or to start seems harder to get in gear - similar to pedal box symptoms too :(:(

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Had that diag, but cheers Fl@pper.
I had to order a thrust plate from the dealer today.

If you're doing it yourself Pedro, don't forget you really need new driveshaft flange bolts. :)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.