Pedro

Thanks for the hints and tips folks.

I'm going to do the whole clutch at the same time, my car does far too much towing of a couple of race bikes, must be near on 400kg with fuel, tyres, tools etc on borad, seems crazy not to sort it all out at the same time.

Not that I can afford it :cry: :cry: :cry:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Didn't manage to get as long as I'd have liked on the car due to other issues....

But :cry::cry:

I am really struggling to get the gearbox off.

The reason for this is that the release pushrod is skewered through the release plate. Consequently, the box is still 'aligned' and I can only get the box so far away from the flywheel before the offside driveshaft flange catches on the back of the flywheel.
I can't move the box sideways so that the flange clears the flywheel because the pushrod is holding the box centrally...........

I love a challenge. [:@]

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sounds like a job for something more substantial then a magnet.... maybe a mallet :blink:

RF4780723.jpg

I'd use a mallet too...

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I'm maybe not explaining this well.

Normally, I think, you'd pull the gearbox so far off the engine and once the input shaft was out of the clutch, you'd manoeuvre the box so the offside driveshaft flange clears the flywheel. You can't pull it directly off because the flange hooks on the flywheel.

The pushrod is protruding out of the end of the input shaft and through the middle of the clutch. Consequently, once the input shaft is out of the clutch, I still have no sideways movement on the box. I cannot get inside the bellhousing because it is only level with the nearside end of the flywheel. It will not go any further to the nearside because the offside driveshaft flange is catching the back of the flywheel.

I cannot get at the release pushrod.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Hmmm, sleep on it Dave, i'm sure by the morning you'll have a few more ideas on it. Where there's a will there's a way.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Is it worth removing the offside driveshaft completely (appreciate its a major PITA).

Been looking on't net for similar scenarios but couldn't find anything similar other than on a Land Rover site which was as a result of a different issue.

We've had a dusting of snow today so I don't envy you!

Yes, a good powdering of snow here too, I am going out looking like the Michelin man :blink:

I think I'd need to bolt the gearbox back up and refit the nearside driveshaft in order to remove the offside d/s flange

I'm going to try mounting the box loosely and then have another go at retrieving the rod with a magnet (Yes this is the only way to fish it back out).

If that doesn't work, I'll try a bit of brute force on the front of the box to see if I can bend the rod enough to allow the flange to clear the flywheel.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
All I've managed with brute force is to expose the problem.

If you look carefully, you can see the pushrod spearing the clutch. Can't get at it though.
P1010040.jpg

Drive flange caught on the back of the flywheel.
P1010041.jpg

When I finally give up trying to move the rod back, I might try and undo the flywheel bolts (through the starter motor hole) so the flywheel comes away with the box.....

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
you tried to remove the engine mounts and pull the engine forward to get it past the sub-frame? or hacksaw through the pushrod?

:) The engine position isn't really the issue. Can't get a hacksaw in to get at the rod.

It even stretched my patience this afternoon and I packed everything away. I then had a cuppa and another look at the above photos and then wondered if I could get my hand in to get at the rod.

I couldn't, but in the process of heaving at the box from underneath, I actually managed to get the driveshaft flange onto the side of the flywheel. Progress! The gearbox is jammed there at the moment and after another couple of hours of heaving and shoving, I gave up again. Another day.... :rolleyes:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if you can see it to get a pic chances are you can get summat at it

long drift/prybar (curved towards outside) hit that in will shale it up and force it the right direction

i just know you will hate me for saying this but it takes 15 mins to rip the front bumper/grille/panel/rad off mind :p

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
if you can see it to get a pic chances are you can get summat at it

long drift/prybar (curved towards outside) hit that in will shale it up and force it the right direction

i just know you will hate me for saying this but it takes 15 mins to rip the front bumper/grille/panel/rad off mind :p

Cheers Fl@pper. :)

I did consider whipping the front panel off. To tell you the truth, if I saw this problem again, I think my recommendation would be to take the engine/box out together and then pull the transmission off.

I've tried various implements in (including a jemmy with a rubber tip fitted) to try and move the pushrod, but while you have the box sitting at an angle to allow access, the rod seems very effectively wedged by the thrust plate.

I'v got the box jammed at the moment, but if I can find 15mm of movement somewhere, I reckon I can force it off.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.