Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
might just be the answer then - we can blame you then :p:p

this thing seems to have ended up with a bit of all sorts in it and possibly a second hand gearbox which isn't a problem as it works but matching all the parts up is become a nightmare

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
that is probably what the change is i was on about in the pm around '91

:yes: I understand.

i used to rebuild gearboxes for a living and one of the most common cars we were doing at the time was 2 litre 8v golfs (mk3 gti's) and having owned 4 myself.

when a customer came in and was told the box needed replacing (usually due to diff failing and bits of it making their way out via the casing) if they wanted a cheap fix - not a complete new box then we'd fit mk2 golf gti boxes as they were stronger.

usually the clutch was fine but some (possibly retro fitted) had the smaller input shaft which when you found the clutch to fit the input shaft it was the smaller diameter, it would work fine for a period but would obviously wear alot quicker so was not an option. after some searching and many returned clutches we found a large diameter friction plate which fitted the smaller input shaft.

i only skimmed through the thread so may well have misunderstood, if so my apologies.:shrug:

No - got you now, I need a bigger friction plate with a small dia splined bore. Cheers.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
what size was the one that was fitted.

get the complete kit, 6mm around the edge if you get 212 as opposed to 200mm is really personal preference, it won't make much difference either way unless you are running a high output engine and reaching the limits of the oe item.

R French

Haven't had time to read it all 6 pgs now- but sounds like clutch pushrod has failed. It is on a splined drive and the casting of the pushrod splits opening up the splines and then has no grip hence no pedal.
Either that or the release bearing is dead.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
what size was the one that was fitted.

get the complete kit, 6mm around the edge if you get 212 as opposed to 200mm is really personal preference, it won't make much difference either way unless you are running a high output engine and reaching the limits of the oe item.

The car had a 200mm pressure plate & flywheel with a 190mm friction plate.

I'd bought a Sachs kit from ECP before the probs reared their head - all 212mm but of course the flywheel doesn't fit.

The clutch wasn't always smooth before the pushrod went through the release plate. 190 friction plate isn't in bad condition - got a bit of life left in it. The flywheel has a couple of small burn marks, as had the pressure plate.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
oh and a quick way to see if it's 1800 or 1600 is the driveshaft flanges, mk1 and 1.6 mk2 golfs use smaller diameter flanges and when you change the flanges (they bolt on to the diff in the centre) there is under 5mm clearence between the bigger flange and the gearbox casing on the passenger side shaft.

so mimimal clearance - mk1/1600 box

above 5mm - 1.8 mk2 box

obviously they all have code variants.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
canny see pic's at work mate but it's the nearside you need to check, there's not alot in it but just enough to notice when you look at the gap.

my money is on a mk2 gti/1800 box now.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
:cry: I have spent ages scrubbing away at the gearbox without finding a code. (Except for the case code - which is the same on a 90 Golf as it is on a 98 Ibiza...)

Anyone got a clue where the gearbox code should be?

The nearside driveshaft flange is tight into the diff housing, BTW.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
But then sods law,
typed the question into google and got the answer!!!!! :rolleyes:

Clicky.

(I wasn't looking there! )

AUG13020.

(4) 020300050AX 5 speed manual gearbox 66/18 / AUG From 1990 Mk2 Golf listing - not showing earlier

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
What's the 18 for? :)

....... and how do we work out which engine types were fitted with an AUG box....?

18 is the teeth on the gear on the end of the pinion shaft
66 is the teeth on the crownwheel or ring gear

divide crownwheel by the pinion get the diff ratio

gimme 5 ill make a list of the cars fitted with AUG trans

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as per etka

:VW:
Golf 08/91-10/91
Jetta 08/89-07/91
Polo 12/95-04/96
Scirocco 08/89-07/91

:SEAT:
Cordoba 09/95-06/96
Ibiza 12/95-06/96
Inca 11/95-05/97

seems to be mostly 1.6 but gimme a little while and i'll nail down the engine codes to each car

nothing listing Skoda or Audi btw

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.