Drive The Deal

rob3000

Has anyone ordered through Drive The Deal?

I am in the process of trying to do a deal on a new 184 FR with a dealer and I am using the price that Drive The Deal have quoted for the spec car that I want. As to be expected the first thing he did was to tell me a few horror stories that he has heard from customers eg. wrong cars being ordered etc etc.

Has anyone else had or heard about problems that going through this broker can bring? Would anyone recommend them?

For the savings they offer I think I would be happy to use them but having to sell my car privately would be a pain in the backside.

Any advice gratefully received.

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
No personal experience, but I've only heard good things, and if I decide to buy new I would use them if my local dealer was unable to match.

Jun 15, 2013
Bought ours from Carfile.net. Price was virtually the same as DtD's. They also do PX's. Check the websites carefully, when we got ours the DtD price had the £1000 PCP deposit already deducted whereas the Carfile one did not, made Carfile look expensive until I took £1000 of their price.

Cannot comment on their delivery times etc since the car we bought was in stock.

With regards to the PX deal they gave me the £100 less than the local dealer offered, but the local dealer would not offer me a large discount.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Heard of quite a few people using DtD price to get their local dealer to shift their price.

I'd be frank and say you want to go with the local dealer, would like to support them but at the end of the day they need to price accordingly if they want your custom. They may not (/want) to shift their price but that's their call. I wouldn't be concerned about ordering through drive the deal if you had to, although I'd visit a few local dealers if possible and see which ones will shift their price.

Was it Viking you bought a new car a little while ago and used DtD to haggle? I don't think it was but can't think who it was. Perhaps a post in general off topic will see a better response.

rob3000

Thanks for your replies, I have called the dealer this morning and said that I want to give them my business but not if its going to cost me an extra £2000 to do so. The salesman couldn't make the decision so I am going back to see the sales manager when he is back from holiday next week.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
I'd be frank and say you want to go with the local dealer, would like to support them but at the end of the day they need to price accordingly if they want your custom. They may not (/want) to shift their price but that's their call. I wouldn't be concerned about ordering through drive the deal if you had to, although I'd visit a few local dealers if possible and see which ones will shift their price.
I found this worked quite well, and although my local dealer couldn't get close enough to the DtD price for my liking, another local-ish dealer was able to (and with a little further pushing) we got to an acceptable cost-to-change. I could have save another few hundred quid on the new one by going through DtD, but as I didn't want the hassle of selling my current car privately I chose the 'easier' option.

Last edited:

rob3000

As a couple of people mentioned carfile, I Filled out the online form on Friday evening and got a call from a dealer first thing Saturday morning, who emailed me a written quote for the car I want and also a PX price for mine within half an hour. The price is £2000 less than my dealer has been able to offer so far and £500 less than drive the deal. So far I am very impressed!!!

cilurnum

Aug 6, 2013
Newcastle
My local dealer was as helpful as they could be, but they weren't going to budge on anything more than a £500 discount. Depending on your spec you can get around £3000 off the dealer price. That's just too much to miss. I understand why the dealer won't budge because word would spread so you have to prod them through DtD or Carfine etc.

Last edited:

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Why does drive the deal have an option for with and without the tech pack, since it's now free?

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Why does drive the deal have an option for with and without the tech pack, since it's now free?

Because its not truly 'free'. You'll find its a reduced price and the dealer absorbs the rest of the 'cost'. This is much the same as when you go in to negotiate a deal.

That's my understanding anyway :)

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Because its not truly 'free'. You'll find its a reduced price and the dealer absorbs the rest of the 'cost'. This is much the same as when you go in to negotiate a deal.

That's my understanding anyway :)

Makes sense, though something like that was going on - carfile state they can't give you it for free, but the DtD price difference between an FR (£18700) and an FR tech pack (£19800) is massive...

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Makes sense, though something like that was going on - carfile state they can't give you it for free, but the DtD price difference between an FR (£18700) and an FR tech pack (£19800) is massive...

Is that the difference even after adding the £1240 (if memory is correct!) back onto the DtD price? The DtD price will include deposit contribution whereas carfile does not, it's explained in the box with a bunch of small-print on the DtD page with your quote usually.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The Tech Pack is effectively a dressed up discount so makes sense why DtD are quoting different prices

Its only "free" to retail customers, fleet customers don't get it.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Didn't even have to quote the figure to them. Must have been the end of the month. Car comes end of September. Stage 20 achieved!:D

fireblade929

Jul 11, 2010
Cleethorpes
" I'm going to see the sales manager when he's back from holiday". This sort of statement says to me that there not interested, take your business elsewhere. I've bought two new cars through dtd in the last 12 months, and I would highly recommend the service to anyone. I've saved approx £7000 .....

Jun 15, 2013
" I'm going to see the sales manager when he's back from holiday".

The sales chappy I was dealing with at the local dealer said that to me in June, Actually he said "tomorrow" not "back from holiday". 10 weeks later still waiting for a call.

Good job I ordered the car via Carfile the following day and saved myself £1700.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members