Driveshaft removal got a leak

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
hi was wondering if there is a certian way or removing drivers driveshaft as im changing my turbo an also got a leak coming from drivers driveshaft so going to also change the seal, is there any certian way of removing or will it just pop out once i split the hub?

this is leak i have not to bad but worth changing seal me thinks

Photo0337.jpg

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
undo the slpine bolts and they pop out, no oil or grease, could be oil from engine run down, or the seals them self which is a box rebuild as far as i know, you can do iy without the shaft out but i find its easier to take shaft out when doing it on the floor as you havent go the same room as when on a ramp.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
splines out, undo 3 bolts on ball joint, stick allen key in so hub doesnt move.

tap the driveshaft nut back and should give enough room for removal.

might get away with just removing the splines, but will put pressure on the outer joint.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
if you need a new inner cv joint... best way is to get a whole new shaft with joints attatched... mucho easier to refit and no faffing, that way you renew both joints.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
The driveshaft screws with the bolts to the gearbox "stub" it should be as i said, but never done one and logic says it should be like that :)

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
206's are easy, pop shaft out and there there, but i guess its a box split for the seals on these mate, also get both wheels up, undo the spline bolts use a small pry bar and spin the other wheel and it will pop out of its cup, do the same to put it back in, also you can try taking the bar off on the subframe.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Found a nice diagram here mate which might help you, looks like there removable from the box without stripping down ...

gearbox_parts.gif

Never done one before so cant tell you if its going to be a **** or not.

VWVR6shortrunnerinsug001-9.jpg

VWVR6shortrunnerinsug002-9.jpg

VWVR6shortrunnerinsug003-7.jpg

Also just found a guide to removing it and installing seals.

http://www.brokevw.com/020flange.html

I dont see the need to use the puller but will make life easyer, most would just use brute force, ignorance, bar and swearing till it pops out, doesnt matter if the seal gets damaged on removal, its installing that you have to be carefull with. Anyway hope this has helped.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.