Driving In France

trebor737

Hi all,

Has the title says, am soon to be having a trip over to France and am wondering if anyone has got any information on headlight deflector stickers? Also do the stickers damage the lens surface of the lights? Also can't I just adjust the beam angle to point them down instead?!!!

Cheers

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It has to be done by beam bender - not lowering it - assuming standard lights. Xenons need to be done with VCDS / at the dealer

However, the frogs never bother when they come here, so I don't do it now - but I do take a kit with me just in case

Last edited:

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
Just buy the £20 kit from Tesco. You get deflectors, GB sticker, triangle, high vis jacket etc

The headlamp converters stick like **** to a blanket, you have to scrape them off.

Most Brits don't bother with any of it though.

trebor737

Not liking the idea of scraping the glue off, so prob just buy them and keep them just in case! Planning to get to France at about 7:30 so should be daylight then and should be at destination without it getting dark. And when coming back, it will be daylight!!!

And your right about them coming over here and not changing there's!!!!!!!£

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
makes no odds what time of day, plod catches you & relieves you of money.
they don't do it coming over here because our Police have no powers to fine foreign car drivers, lorries yes, but via VOSA.

remember to disable your Satnav speed camera warnings as well in France, new regs from Jan 4th

meccanic1

Hi, Just a general comment, I am a MOT tester and have tested a lot of cars with the beam deflector stickers fitted to them and they do nothing. I have even tried to fit some myself on a BMW with it on the mot ramp with the beam setter, and no matter where you put the stickers you couldn.t loose the kick up on the beam pattern. I would personally just have a set with you in the car in case you have any problems, but honestly if you just follow the guide with the stickers they will do nothing. To be fair I have seen a couple of cars where they have some effect, but generally nothing. If you still want to go ahead then I suggest you park in front of your garage or a wall with the lights on (at night) and move the stickers around until you block out the kick up part of the beam, if you can.

old 'uns

Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
next thing coming French-wise?

having to carry at least 2 home-test breathylsers so if plod pulls you he can test if fit to drive or not!
should have been April, may now be pushed back 'til after elections

and people moan about not being able to have pressed plates :)

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Just use gaffer or duck tape cut to the right shape, all your doing is stopping light, there will do it just as well and come off 10x easier!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I know this is about lights but don't forget the first aid kit and yellow jackets.

Carry your insurance cert and driving licence

And as has already been said - disable the cameras in your satnav.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I think that we should have equally daft regulations for frenchies over here. How about them having to fit a garlic filter to stop their breath polluting the fresh air, or compulsory cheese grater over the gearstick!:rofl:

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Some of the newest regs are only for bikes, and some not until 2013.

Take a look at the latest AA doc:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/france-monaco.pdf

That is dated 2011.

Look here - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/france1#roadtravel

It states :
Driving regulations in France are different from those in the UK. On 4 January 2012 new legislation regarding driving came into force. Penalties for various offences have been increased.

It is compulsory to carry a warning triangle and reflective jacket in all vehicles.

Speeding can result in heavy, on the spot fines and potentially immediate confiscation of your vehicle and licence.

It is illegal to cross, even partially, on to the hard shoulder of a motorway without due cause.

In-car radar detectors and satellite navigation systems which warn of the presence of speed cameras or radars are illegal whether in use or not. There use or possession can attract fines and/or, confiscation of the device and the vehicle.

old 'uns

Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
slightly off topic but still with lights...

generally on Continent flashing headlights means 'i'm coming through' not 'after you Claude'

i think a 'sticky' in General might be a good idea, collate info for all to see.?

andycupra

status subject to change
regards high viz jackets, - these have to be in the car and accessible rather than in the boot i believe.
Also i think you have to have a jacket for each person / or each person in the front of the car.

Tunnels, - turn your lights on. not to is an offence maybe, - im sure it is in spain and another potential fine for the easy target that we are.

Welcome to france :)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.