Driving the DSG safely

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
I've been reading the generally positive if you read between the lines (I know it's diesel and automatic, of course it's not a track day car) but occasionally concerning long term report of their 140PS DSG Leon.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/208842/seat_leon_tdi.html

Now, if you read the bit about the DSG, on what basis would you say it's 'not as good a s a manual' (in DIY mode) and 'not as good as a proper auto' in Auto mode? In my opinion it's better than both in the short time I have driven one.

However, the bit about how it slipping the clutch when it moves off, what do we think about that, and is there anything we can do when driving to make sure we are treating the gearbox as best we can? Although my car will be new with a warranty I don't want to have clutch problems with it caused by it slipping or me balancing on it or anything.

Rob

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
TBH I think it's a fantastic gearbox.

Mines just clocked 40K on an 06 plate and feels no different to the brand new one I test drove a few weeks before I purchased it.

Shaun

MatthewB

Oct 14, 2007
Hmm I don't treat the DSG any better (or worse) than any manual I've ever owned. The only thing I try not to do is to hold it on the brake up a hill in gear. I think the EVO test is possibly hampered by the fact that those guys are very accomplished manual drivers and can get the best out of one, the rest of us mere mortals appreciate a gearbox that does a better job than we do.

Secondly there's a certain "way" to drive it. It's difficult to describe but if you know where to hold the throttle the car will fly, mash it about like you would in convential auto/manual and it can seem rather slow and clunky, occasionally picking the wrong gear.

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
Secondly there's a certain "way" to drive it. It's difficult to describe but if you know where to hold the throttle the car will fly, mash it about like you would in convential auto/manual and it can seem rather slow and clunky, occasionally picking the wrong gear.

Completely agree here... I find it very annoying at times as the gearbox insists on holding onto 2nd gear for as long as it can when coasting up to junctions. This sometimes makes for a hesitant getaway when you attempt to pull away.

I find "S" solves this - even if dropping to it for a short period until in 2nd and then back to "D" the "S" mode seems to make these sorts of downward gear changes much quicker.

I could ofcourse just use the manual change - but I'm just too lazy! :D

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Are you talking the petrol or diesel engine with that holding onto second thing? If so I guess it's because the engine sees its maximum torque at a higher rev range so it'll be looking for that.

Hills I'm not sure what to do really, and at junctions. In an ideal world should you put it in neutral instead of sitting on the brake the way most auto drivers do?

Rob

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
I have the 140 Diesel.

It's simply because the car knows it can pull away in that gear.

It's not a massive problem - you just have to hold your nerve for a second - after that you get belted in the back and your a mile away from what you were pulling out in front of :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.