DSG & Supercopa questions

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Right, no matter how I try I can't get rid of the "Leon" bug, in fact I've seen a white DSG supercopa and I've put my name on it!

I have a few questions if anyone can help please?

Is the rear diffuser bit around the exhausts removable? I'm thinking it would look better black.

I've test driven the DSG and loved it, whats it like long-term? After a few miles does it get clunky?

Are there any situations that the dsg can't handle very well?

Are the expected mpg figures realistic?

Many thanks!

Scott.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
DSG is the future. Wouldn't do without it. Had a 57 plate with 85k badly maintained miles, and the DSG was smooth as could be.

Got a 11 plate FR tdi DSG now with 15k miles and still smooth.

Petrol you're going for or diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Hi Shnazzle,

It has to be a diesel with the miles I do.

Got a dodgy back/left hip and the 150 (minimum) mile commute each end of the week is becoming tiresome.

What mpg are you getting?

Is the white one in your avatar yours? Got any pics if so?

Cheers,

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Hi Shnazzle,

It has to be a diesel with the miles I do.

Got a dodgy back/left hip and the 150 (minimum) mile commute each end of the week is becoming tiresome.

What mpg are you getting?

Is the white one in your avatar yours? Got any pics if so?

Cheers,

Mpg around 42-45mpg. But I do no motorway. Can easily do 50+.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=364180

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Oh thats like music to my ears, not too much of a drop from what I'm getting with my manual.

Your car looks spot on mate, pretty much what I want to do with mine. Gonna see if the dealer will supply the black grille and get the mirrors done too.

Also got a set of andromedas that I'm toying with the colour of, leaning towards black but those gunmetal ones of your are making me think again!

Is the rear valance removable? If so I'll see how much it is for another and get it sprayed.

Brake calipers are a must too!

Cheers,

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Yeah it's removable, some people have even converted it to the cupra R valance and back box. There a couple of threads on here about it. Al yet and dig them out for ya.

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Oli, fantastic! Cheers mate, I think I'll be on to Dave at Sere for one of these in the post!

I've decided gloss black looks better for the wheels.

Cheers.

richroberts

Aug 16, 2007
Worcester
DSG is fantastic and I will never go without one. The main issue I have is when you lift of the accelerator, say approaching a roundabout and you arent using any accelerator just breaks, if you want to accelerate because its clear it can be quite jolty with sudden power. Has got me in trouble a few times when I've gone to go when a cars coming and you accelerate and dont move for a second or two followed by near wheel spinning acceleration :D You get used to it though and learn to compensate.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
DSG is fantastic and I will never go without one. The main issue I have is when you lift of the accelerator, say approaching a roundabout and you arent using any accelerator just breaks, if you want to accelerate because its clear it can be quite jolty with sudden power. Has got me in trouble a few times when I've gone to go when a cars coming and you accelerate and dont move for a second or two followed by near wheel spinning acceleration :D You get used to it though and learn to compensate.

this...

Seems even worse in the TDI DSG from what I can tell.
Still love it though. Granted I'm in manual most of the time.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
as said only downside for me is coming up to junctions (depends if i am in d or -/+ if im in d then its not too bad sits in 2nd until you practically stop (even up bank which is annoying), but in -/+ then it kicks you down into first at about 5mph so annoying when you go to pull out on a roundabout.

other than that generally taking a second or 2 to get into reverse as its on the same gear as first.

but i do love it just wished the cupra/cupra r came with dsg.

Last edited:

sgb27

Yep you just get used to knocking it down to 1st when crawling to junctions, otherwise you're never sure if it's going to go or not. Caught me out a few times, especially turning right through oncoming traffic - you kinda of get stranded in the middle of the road for a split second :eek:

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Mmmm, I think I can live with the slight drawback of dsg after reading some glowing reviews. Add to that the quicker acceleration and it's a winner all round.

On another note, the dealer is supplying the gloss black grille, mirror caps and best of all...rear diffuser! I think it's gonna look lush with the BBS done black too!

richroberts

Aug 16, 2007
Worcester
Yeah dont be put off, for the slight draw back of the issues mentioned the DSG is far superior in every other way in my opinion! Not many owners of DSG's would prefer manuals.[B)]

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester

This is when the box is in 'D'. It happens when you press the gas & nothing happens for a millisecond. Your instinct is then to press the pedal harder. The car's brain interprets this as you wanting massive acceleration, so drops down a couple of cogs, and you get much more poke than you were expecting. I've found the secret is to brake slightly harder into the junction, so the box is already in a lower gear and the revs are sufficient to accelerate out.

...Or drop down using the paddles; or have it in Manual; or have it in Sport.

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Well, I picked her up today and set off back at about 5.30. I should have been back at 19.30 and it should have been a 98 mile journey but...I got carried away! I love the DSG! After 5 seconds of driving it I knew I'd made the right decision. Overtaking is a breeze and best of all my left leg and back are thanking me already.

Ended up doing 134 miles and picking the "scenic" route.

Gotta say Hatfield Seat have been great, did all the bits black and it looks stunning yet understated. I hope people who know their Seat will recognise that I've done a little something with mine.

Now, who can recommend a "safe" remapper?

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Well, I picked her up today and set off back at about 5.30. I should have been back at 19.30 and it should have been a 98 mile journey but...I got carried away! I love the DSG! After 5 seconds of driving it I knew I'd made the right decision. Overtaking is a breeze and best of all my left leg and back are thanking me already.

Ended up doing 134 miles and picking the "scenic" route.

Gotta say Hatfield Seat have been great, did all the bits black and it looks stunning yet understated. I hope people who know their Seat will recognise that I've done a little something with mine.

Now, who can recommend a "safe" remapper?

Glad you're pleased with your purchase, pictures are needed though :p

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.