DSG v Manual

Curdy

I loved the DSG when I test drove a Cupra a few weeks back. But I don't know if Im ready to make that swap. I do a fair bit of town driving and it does wind me up keep having to dip the clutch and swap between 1st and 2nd gear, so DSG from that point would be ace. The paddles are great but I don't know if I would get bored of it after a while

The other issue is with the turbo charged engine, It's nice to give a manual car a blip on the throttle (with clutch dipped) and hear the turbo whizz and the exhaust growl. Especially nice when waiting at traffic lights. Can you do that with the DSG without having to select Neutral?

Does anyone miss having a manual gearbox?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its blips the throttle for you on a down change.

Get an induction kit like mine and it will make all the noise you want (if you really want noise the Forge blow off spacer certianly does it)

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
When just driving along in drive at low rev's and give it a kick you'll hear ether the supercharger wine or the turbo woosh depending what part of the rev range your at. You can certainly make play some nice tunes :) You could put it in turtral while moving and give the accelerator a prod as it's the same as putting the clutch in.

CupraDean

Brrrmmm Tttsssssss
Dec 11, 2009
Newbury
wouldnt really know as only driven a manual.... but looking forward to driving a DSG.... techie about the forge blow off spacer how does it actually work? is it when it drops a gear?

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
I had the choice of DSG or manual when I bought my previous car, golf gti. I chose the manual & I wouldn't say that I regretted it one bit. However, now experiencing the delights of a dsg I can safely say I would not want to go back in a hurry.

It does slightly disconnect you from the manual process & some argue thrill of physically changing the gear - but the flip side is that changes are so seamless you can barely notice the changes. Town driving is a doddle. If you want to overtake just blip the paddle down & your off, have all the control of a manual.

I think the dsg & the 1.4tsi gel together to make a great little combination.

All just IMHO :D

Ohh nearly forgot keeps the wife happy too.....now that takes some doing :whistle:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
wouldnt really know as only driven a manual.... but looking forward to driving a DSG.... techie about the forge blow off spacer how does it actually work? is it when it drops a gear?

The N249 works as it normally would operating the dv. However you hear it with the spacer as it has vent holes in it. So when you come off the throttle it dumps. As you don't come off the throttle when accelerating it doesn't dump on the upchange. But when the gearbox automatically blips the throttle on a manual down change it dumps then.

Curdy

The N249 works as it normally would operating the dv. However you hear it with the spacer as it has vent holes in it. So when you come off the throttle it dumps. As you don't come off the throttle when accelerating it doesn't dump on the upchange. But when the gearbox automatically blips the throttle on a manual down change it dumps then.

Techie

I've read on the internet some issues with the BOV with the ECU and the mass air sensor, something to do with the ECU expecting a certain amount of air being in the engine when in actual fact the BOV has released a certain amount of air. Is there any known problems with having a BOV on the 1,4 tsi engine?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Yes it will effect your warranty as it's not an approved part, same as an induction kit or coil overs for example.

alexfr10

Jan 8, 2010
Llandudno, North Wales
i really need to start getting my head round using the paddles, I've had my FR 3 months now and only driven in automatic, i just can't seem to get to grips with the paddles (not sure when to change up / down) especially given that i now have 7 gears!! any advice, coz i know i should be driving using paddles to get the best from the car.

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
I only drive with the paddles, so much fun, like night flight said pretend ur playing a computer game :)

As for when to change gear it depends how fast u want to go :p

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
i really need to start getting my head round using the paddles, I've had my FR 3 months now and only driven in automatic, i just can't seem to get to grips with the paddles (not sure when to change up / down) especially given that i now have 7 gears!! any advice, coz i know i should be driving using paddles to get the best from the car.

On lanes and twisties you don’t want to be in 7th. 6th gear max but you want to be cruising around usually 5th, when you see a corner coming depending on how sharp it is etc drop to 3rd or 4th once you power out the corner if the road straightens out start moving down the box. You wont find many 2nd gear corners and the more you use the box the more you'll get used to the power band and find when 3rd or 4th is more appropriate. For a quick bust in speed on the motorway you can change from 7th to 5th @ 60/70mph (lay permitting :D)

If you keep the box in sport mode while your learning and get flustered just hold the + button for a second or two and it will put the car back into Sport mode and override manual.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Nope. Sport mode will change gear at aoptimum time and reuns the revs all the way to the red line hehehehehe. I had the demo in sport too whe I test drove it hahahahaaha.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.