Dump Valve on a diesel?

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Is this possible? Has anyone got one? Is it worth it? I had one on my old rover turbo and loved it (little bit of a show off) and where i can hear something chirp quietly when i lift off, sometimes i think i'd like something just a bit louder. A hesitation I do ave though is that it would go off ALL the time...

What are people's thoughts?

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Ah balls, delete this, it sounds like they're a totally pointless addition and not hugely cheap for the benefit too! Maybe I'll put a megaphone next to whatever makes the whoosh noise when I lift off lol

jdearden

as above... and the ones i've heard sounds very similar to when a bus pull's up and makes that wooosh noise

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Diesel engines work differently to petrol so they don't require a dump valve.

Dump valves on a petrol engine release the pressure off before the cylinders when the fuel butterfly closes if I remember correctly. Diesel don't have this.

Seat's as far as I am aware use recirculation valves on their petrol engines which are more efficient.

foxy367

May 12, 2007
Wigan
Diesel engines work differently to petrol so they don't require a dump valve.

Dump valves on a petrol engine release the pressure off before the cylinders when the fuel butterfly closes if I remember correctly. Diesel don't have this.

Seat's as far as I am aware use recirculation valves on their petrol engines which are more efficient.

from Wikipedia:

"Diesel engines are optimized to operate within a relatively narrow rpm range, reducing problems with turbo lag and compressor stall caused by sudden accelerations and decelerations."

Dump valve whether to air or recirculating is not required as its only required to prevent compressor stall. Whether you'd be able to retro fit one is another matter but may not even 'blow off'

May have to just stick with the megaphone!!! :D

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Thanks for the replies guys. My dad used to call me a burke...but even so, I think I'll leave take the advice and leave it as is!

This "compressor stall" business...I've had a few occasions when I've just changed gear and perhaps, having put my foot down a bit, then immediately off and then on again, it feels like the car has stalled. Is this what that is? Really irritating, as for a second or so all power disappears!

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
I think this happens when the turbo starts spooling down (Foot of gas pedal), then when you plant your foot down again the turbo has to spool up and provide boost.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Yeah, I think that's what's happened...I will just try not to take my foot off then immediately put it back down again! Horrible feeling. Reminds me of what having a Rover was like lol

Thorgen

Thanks for the replies guys. My dad used to call me a burke...but even so, I think I'll leave take the advice and leave it as is!

This "compressor stall" business...I've had a few occasions when I've just changed gear and perhaps, having put my foot down a bit, then immediately off and then on again, it feels like the car has stalled. Is this what that is? Really irritating, as for a second or so all power disappears!
I think that in most cases it's caused by the ESP. Let me guess. Wheelspin when changing up -> ESP steps in to limit the slip -> the torque is cut out completely for about a second or so, but after that it accelerates again.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
That could quite possibly be affecting it too. Especially now its been revo'd! Tyres just can't cope with the torque...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.