Earth improvement query

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I've done a search as I remember reading something before about improving the earth connections on the car throughout the engine bay, but I couldn't find anything.

Basically I would like to know what benefits (if any) improving the earth connections will have?

Also where are they?

and finally how to go about improving them...cleanin up the connections, and a thicker gauge of wire, would that be it? Is it possible to go too large an Earth wire?

any thoughts and theories much appreciated!

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
cheers matey, thats just what I was looking for! I reckon I could make it myself, u happen to know if the wires can be too thick? I know it sounds silly but I want to use quite a nice size wire, those ones in the pics look quite thin?

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
going off topic a bit but very often i get some sort of mini electric shock/static type thingy when i'm getting out of the car as i go to push the door closed.

How do i get rid of this - grounding kit?

cheers,

Sat

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
No, I don't think it can be too thick. Although, if you need to hide it or dress the cable anywhere it would be harder.

Also, I don't think it would benefit to be any thicker than the current battery cables.

Sat....Rubber Wellies mate - The only way!!

Yeah, grounding kit would definitely help I think. I got shocks from my last car and it really p*issed me off at times!!

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
the typical grounding kit is not really the best way to improve the ground in a Leon. Underneath the battery is the battery's ground point. All you need to do is replace this wire with a decent 0-gauge wire. less than 2 feet will do.

To properly upgrade electrical connections, though, at the same time also upgrade the battery-to-alternator cable, and the alternator-to-ground with the same quality cable. Minimum 4-gauge, preferably 0-gauge if you have any amplifiers installed in the car. Ground the alternator to the same point as the battery ground.

The alternator is very close to the battery, if you remove the battery you can see it clearly. its very easy once you see it.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
i'm now in 2 minds about the benefits of the "grounding kit" now. I have however spent sometime today cleaning up the contacts on the main earth beneath the battery and any others I found. The car seems to run a bit smoother but it could just be my imagination, however it could be down to cleaning up what appears to be an earth for the coil packs.

I'm not sure how effective the grounding kit will be, as most of it isn't connected to any of the earth connections of the compoenents its trying to earth (if that makes sense)?