Earth point for CD changer

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Hi all

I have done a search on this, but just want to quickly confirm before I electrocute myself or ruin anything.

I have installed a standard VW 6 disc changer to my Aura HU, and it's all good to go except I haven't worked out what to earth it to.

Can that enormous (kind of nipple like) bog stud on the back of the radio be used, or is there something hidden in the glovebox I couldn't find in the dark this evening?

Cheers

Rob

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
any bolt that's connected to the car body will do, or an earth wire from something like the light as mentioned above.;)

PawnStar

I had something similar with my Denison Ice>Link install. Just make sure the wire is touching the bracket that holds the radio, and there's your earth :D

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
The earth stud is behind the L shaped panel to right of bottom passenger door frame panel, if that makes sense.. side corner below glove box... in process of doing mine, had difficulty routing data cable from head unit to glove box, been recomended to remove glove box, is this how you did it?

Daz8161

Daz
Mar 9, 2005
Belfast
i removed the rubber knob at the back of this hu and stuck it there then replaced the rubber knob ontop of it to keep the earth wire in place would that be ok or a stupid place to put it?

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Earth points are important. Not quite sure what cable your using with the earth wire? normally the earth point at the back of a stereo needs to be earthed to the car chassis somewhere, so if your using that as the main earth point for your cable then i'd imagine that would be wrong.. as the earth wire would be relying on the stereos earth cable inside the loom connected to the back of it to earth the earth wire you've connected to the back of stereo.. eek that was a mouthful :-o

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Daz8161 said:
i removed the rubber knob at the back of this hu and stuck it there then replaced the rubber knob ontop of it to keep the earth wire in place would that be ok or a stupid place to put it?

The earth needs to be properly secured, there's loads of factory earth points around the front of the car to use.

What you have done wont give you a decent earth unfortunately.

Pete

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
Daz8161 said:

As Pete says this won't give you a good earth, if you don't damage the changer you will at the least have intermittant problems with it working and not working. You'll also eventually have to take the stuff out and do the connection properly easier to do it now while you're thinking about it :D

rickmyster

May 9, 2005
i cut my loom open and to release the earth wire then i taped the loom back up and ran my earth into thepassenger side footwell (behind the kick plate) there's a nice big fat earth there and it works spot on!

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
I installed my cd changer this evening :D had to remove the glovebox by unscrewing about 8 torx screws, but was well worth doing as installation of data cable was dead easy!:) as mentioned above I connected earth tab to earth point below to the left of glove box , have to unclip the L shaped plastic cover to get access to it.... all done and all works :funk:

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
I've just finished doing this, and took advice from someone that knows far more about cars, electrics and car electrics than me (my Dad) who advised that my suggestion of the rubber screw thing behind the HU wasn't good as it needs to go to the bodyshell, as others have detailed. It will work, but besides any danger of damage or anything, you may find quality suffers due to interference.

I think I used the same one as Leeboy describes, was a bit awkward getting it in, but the plastic panel on the left came off to help. I didn't find it necessary to remove the glovebox or anything to feed the cable through, I just took my watch off, rolled my sleeves up, stuck one hand through the stereo hole and one up the glovebox and fumbled about til my fingers met! I have fairly small hands and arms though, so maybe it might be more awkward for those chunkier fellows among us. Find a small child somewhere and ask them to do it. :)

The physical install of the changer and the connections was easy as pie, and I'm very pleased with the results.

Cheers

Rob

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Well done mate glad you got it installed :D . I tried and tried to do it without removing glovebox, but i have big forearms, so no matter how hard i tried, me fingers never met, and found it impossible to feed cable, so removed glove box and did it the easy way :D glad you found the correct earth point;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members