ECO Mode

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
I did two identical journeys over two days.
First as I usually drive, a mixture of Sport and Normal, returning 35.5 mpg.
Second all in ECO, returning 35.4 mpg.
Mixture of dual carriageway and urban about 15 miles.
So ECO mode is useless and probably only used when testing on the rolling road to achieve the ridiculous stated mpg.
Furthermore in ECO the car is a slug to drive.
Tony

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
which engine is that ? the stated mpg are a joke, always have been but seems even more so now. When I drive the wife's Polo GT which has the 1.4ACT I get about 60% of the stated figures although I'm sure you could get about 80% on a run

srytter

Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
My 1,4 ACT ST DSG only did about 600 miles. I have filled her up twice now, and meassured the consumption each time. Each time I was surprised to find, that it has only done 30,5 mpg.

I should add that I have been extremely careful not to push the car. I have been driving eco and normal only. I'd guess that 1/3 have been highway and 2/3 have been city driving.

Of course I am aware that the engine has not been run in with only 600 miles, but I have my doubts, that the mpg will increase to get even close to the official figures.

My old Leon 2.0 TDI DSG came very close to official figures, so I am surprised to see such low figures in my new MK3.

Last edited:

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
only time I use eco mode is recently when the road from my house to the street( I live on a private cul de sac which is never gritted) has snow on it so I use the eco engine setting with sport steering on the individual setting and it helps to make the car more controllable up the slight incline which has a mild left hand curve

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
So ECO mode is useless and probably only used when testing on the rolling road to achieve the ridiculous stated mpg.
Tony

In my Cupra if I have the car in cruise control at 70 on the motorway in Comfort mode I get around 38mpg on the trip computer and if I change it to Eco it drops down to about 32mpg on the trip. I've tried this at all speeds (cruise control and changing between modes) and Eco is rubbish on fuel.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
In my Cupra if I have the car in cruise control at 70 on the motorway in Comfort mode I get around 38mpg on the trip computer and if I change it to Eco it drops down to about 32mpg on the trip. I've tried this at all speeds (cruise control and changing between modes) and Eco is rubbish on fuel.

That seems strange as I get much better than normal when in ECO, if I'm in the mood to drive it that way. The rolling at idle when you lift off the gas takes a lot of getting used to but if you embrace it and be in no hurry the best mpg can be had, have saw 40 plus several times. As the ECO is selected in the individual mode with a Cupra, maybe the other settings you have chosen to go with it are different from mine which are DCC - Sport, Steering - Cupra, Engine - ECO, Diff - Cupra and Air Con - ECO. My overall is about 32 these days, but that's because of all the short trips and too much use of the Cupra mode where I have got less than 20 plenty times.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
That seems strange as I get much better than normal when in ECO, if I'm in the mood to drive it that way. The rolling at idle when you lift off the gas takes a lot of getting used to but if you embrace it and be in no hurry the best mpg can be had, have saw 40 plus several times. As the ECO is selected in the individual mode with a Cupra, maybe the other settings you have chosen to go with it are different from mine which are DCC - Sport, Steering - Cupra, Engine - ECO, Diff - Cupra and Air Con - ECO. My overall is about 32 these days, but that's because of all the short trips and too much use of the Cupra mode where I have got less than 20 plenty times.

DCC - Comfort , Steering - Normal, Engine - ECO, Diff - Cupra, Air Con - Eco. Get worse fuel than with standard comfort mode. Will take a trip on the motorway and have our lass record it.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
My 1,4 ACT ST DSG only did about 600 miles. I have filled her up twice now, and meassured the consumption each time. Each time I was surprised to find, that it has only done 30,5 mpg.

I should add that I have been extremely careful not to push the car. I have been driving eco and normal only. I'd guess that 1/3 have been highway and 2/3 have been city driving.

Of course I am aware that the engine has not been run in with only 600 miles, but I have my doubts, that the mpg will increase to get even close to the official figures.

My old Leon 2.0 TDI DSG came very close to official figures, so I am surprised to see such low figures in my new MK3.
That's surprising. I have the 1.4 ACT ST with a manual box and I usually get around 45mpg regularly since I received it back in June of last year. Bearing in mind, my driving is 75% of city driving, but without a lot of stop-start driving. So around 50-60km/h (30-35mph I reckon) for most of the time, but on longer periods of no traffic lights.

During the colder winter months it has gone down to around 36-38mpg, because the engine is a lot colder and the 2-cylinder ECO mode won't get activated on my normal 25min commute.

Blakeney

Nov 20, 2014

I agree with XSullX, above. I have the same car - ST with manual gearbox. My numbers are almost exactly as quoted there. I went back and checked my fuel records: the car came with a full tank from the dealer in November 2014 and on my second fill-up I had 906 miles on the clock having put in a total of 21.5 gallons/98L, so 42mpg.
If your conversions are correct there must be an issue there.

SEAT Leon ST 1.4 TSI (150PS ACT) FR [November 2014]

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
I'm averaging about 43mpg in my FR ST, mix of all sorts of driving. It's incredibly sensitive to external factors. Headwind on a motorway? Mpg plummets. Boot full of stuff? Mpg plummets. Driving it like you stole it? Mpg drops off a cliff. The key is to maximise the amount of time it spends in 2-cyl mode; the engine settings do very little to affect the consumption.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

srytter

Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
I agree with XSullX, above. I have the same car - ST with manual gearbox. My numbers are almost exactly as quoted there. I went back and checked my fuel records: the car came with a full tank from the dealer in November 2014 and on my second fill-up I had 906 miles on the clock having put in a total of 21.5 gallons/98L, so 42mpg.
If your conversions are correct there must be an issue there.

SEAT Leon ST 1.4 TSI (150PS ACT) FR [November 2014]

Hopefully, having DSG doesn't make so big a diffenrence compared to manual. I will be keeping track of my consumption over the next few fill ups. And if things doesn't change, I'll have to contact the dealer. The thing is however, that I'm afraid I know his response: "Well as you know dear customer, you can't expect cars to do the official numbers - these are only possible in controlled enviroments bla bla bla."

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
And that is where the problem lies!

Agreed it's for the lab tests.

Eco mode is like having a cylinder turned off, and I personally don't like it. It changes up earlier and pulls the clutch in when rolling (DSG) but that function doesn't work on cruise control.

Don't have much use for it really, mpg is terrible either way but she's only done 7k so not run in yet.

Got much more out a Golf in comparrison to its respective book figures with Euro 4 diesel engine.

johngre

Feb 21, 2016
Tony

I stopped using ECO too, for the exact same reasons. You end up losing responsiveness and acceleration, only to save a little fuel. NORMAL mode seems to be doing just fine!

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I believe if you are in ECO mode and using the cruise control with a lot of frequent deceleration and accelerations performed by the cruise control, there will be more noticeable difference in mileage. I have noticed that when in sport or normal mode and I have temporarily canceled the cruise control and then resume, the car accelerates mightily to reach the set speed whereas in ECO mode it is very slow and smooth. So, if that happens often, it will probably result in better mileage.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I have ACC in eco mode on my individual setting and it works a treat. The main Eco mode is absolute **** though

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.