ECO Mode

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I have been plying with ECO mode and find it makes a slight difference to fuel economy, but the if turn it on, then after the drive and restart
the symbol shows on the screen but the gear select just shows D drive (yes DSG) so have to select "Mode" again and press ECO and then
the gear shows "E"
Any idea's why I have to go through the process every time I start the car?

don't think it makes any difference but its a 2.0lt 190 ST 19 plate

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Same for every drive mode, car restarts in comfort drive mode every time, regardless of what it was turned off in.

Same in Cupras etc, you have car in Cupra mode, but on restart it’s in comfort drive mode until reselect it.

Probably some reason for it but no one knows

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Same for every drive mode, car restarts in comfort drive mode every time, regardless of what it was turned off in.

Same in Cupras etc, you have car in Cupra mode, but on restart it’s in comfort drive mode until reselect it.

Probably some reason for it but no one knows
Sorry think you are missing the point! if it is in normal mode the "mode" switch does not light up, but if you touch it it lights up and I press "ECO" it goes into eco and when I drive the eco symbol is lit up and the gear is " E" but when I restart the "mode" switch is lit up and I have a "ECO" lit up in the dash, but the gear is "D" until I press eco again,

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Gearbox will always restart in D (comfort) and you will always have to reselect Eco (or Cupra/Sport whatever) to get Eco gearbox (or Cupra/Sport) driving mode back.

This is normal and nothing you can do about it. Pain.

Some have said older cars used to remember full driving mode settings inc gearbox , but they don’t any more.
If you are brave there is a setting in Carista app that enables remember ECO mode… but knowing Carista it probably doesn’t work.

cv01jw

Feb 22, 2021
Sorry think you are missing the point! if it is in normal mode the "mode" switch does not light up, but if you touch it it lights up and I press "ECO" it goes into eco and when I drive the eco symbol is lit up and the gear is " E" but when I restart the "mode" switch is lit up and I have a "ECO" lit up in the dash, but the gear is "D" until I press eco again,
If it helps, my 'Mode' switch seems to light up at random as well. Sometimes it will be lit when I am in D, other times it won't.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
I have been plying with ECO mode and find it makes a slight difference to fuel economy, but the if turn it on, then after the drive and restart
the symbol shows on the screen but the gear select just shows D drive (yes DSG) so have to select "Mode" again and press ECO and then
the gear shows "E"
Any idea's why I have to go through the process every time I start the car?

don't think it makes any difference but its a 2.0lt 190 ST 19 plate
If it helps, my 'Mode' switch seems to light up at random as well. Sometimes it will be lit when I am in D, other times it won't.
Gearbox will always restart in D (comfort) and you will always have to reselect Eco (or Cupra/Sport whatever) to get Eco gearbox (or Cupra/Sport) driving mode back.

This is normal and nothing you can do about it. Pain.

Some have said older cars used to remember full driving mode settings inc gearbox , but they don’t any more.
If you are brave there is a setting in Carista app that enables remember ECO mode… but knowing Carista it probably doesn’t work.

All of these can be fixed with modification of the FPA dataset (FahrProfilAuswahl / Driving Profile Selection).
There's a byte for:
- button light on/off
- what profile it needs to show after restart
- gearbox reset to D (Can be set in such a way that it will remember the last mode)

And much more..

Check out my research:

Reactions: Walone

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Hi RadioTwo, I’ve got a 2017 Cupra 300 ST (manual gearbox) and I always leave the “drive mode” in “Cupra” (for obvious reasons 😝) - I went out last night and checked what you have asked and on starting the car the mode switch is yellow, the Cupra logo is displayed in the top left corner of the infotainment screen and when I go select the “drive mode” screen it is still in Cupra - happy days!

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Yes the screen will say cupra but everything has reverted back to comfort, you'd notice if it was dsg as the gearbox would be in D not S, I wouldn't get to hung up on the button anyways, all it changes on the engine is the sound actuator and throttle response, you get no more power in any mode, obviously the gearbox also changes on a dsg

Reactions: Chillout

carl^

Feb 16, 2021
IIRC in carista you can set it to remember the drive mode (and aircon settings) after restart, however as you notice (and I asked also) the gearbox mode will always reset until you nudge it into sport and back out or manually apply the driving mode via menu again.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
All of these can be fixed with modification of the FPA dataset (FahrProfilAuswahl / Driving Profile Selection).
There's a byte for:
- button light on/off
- what profile it needs to show after restart
- gearbox reset to D (Can be set in such a way that it will remember the last mode)

And much more..

Check out my research:
Cheers for that.

I did try to modify some of the driving profiles with the app “Car Scanner”, by some Russian dev. It’s based on your work as I found references to your work on some discussions in Drive.ru where the developer is active.

However it didn’t work, contacted the Dev and he’s not open to constructive criticism put it that way 🤣🤣🤣

I wouldn’t recommend anyone try and mess with those profiles.

Reactions: Chillout
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members