Eibach springs - totally different!

Coog

Guys,

Just ordered and took delivery of a set of eibach pro springs for my MK1 2006 Leon FR+

Fronts went on fine and no problems there, but when I went to do the rears I noticed the springs looked totally different, and that the circumference of the coil was much smaller on the eibachs :blink:

Meaning they wouldnt seat, and also couldt accept the rubber bush.

Is there something I am missing or has the wrong springs arrived?

The dirty spring is my old one, the clean the eibach one. As you can see they are totally different. It says 1M1 Leon on the eibach box. The fronts were identical except slightly smaller, fitted perfectly and lowered 20ish mm which is what I was expecting. The rears... well see for yourslf.

IMG_0046.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

A5HL3Y

Sep 9, 2008
Newport South Wales
hmmm they could be right, as i was told this week by a spring company that the springs may not even look the same as the originals but they are for the car and they gave me this type of query as an example `my springs look completely different to the ones i have recieved` and they will ask have you fitted them and you say well no because they dont look right! and then they will say try them and find out as not all springs are exactly the same as oem ones.

Iv had a few lesson on springs this week which i have probably found out everything i need to know about lowering springs.

So if i was you id just try them its only a 20 min job to do the rears any way matey?

hope this helps

Coog

Oh aye, have had the rears apart (see pic) and tried the new spring up for size.

I was going to try to make them fit but didn't want to ruin them and then have absolutely no come back if I had to return them.

The other issue is that the circumference of the coil is slightly smaller.It wont fit into the cup on the rear beam, nor will it easily receive the rubber bushing. This is what made me think that there is something wrong. Again, easy enough to expand it to make it fit...maybe someone with eibachs can put me straight :p

A5HL3Y

Sep 9, 2008
Newport South Wales
yeah i can see what u mean, iv had hassle all week after buying a 40mm spring kit and it dropped the back lovely but the fronts stayed the same as stamdard after some diggin about i found out that gmax only do 20mm kits and the company i bought them of advertised them as 40mm, in the end i had a full refund and kept the springs:D

so i got a set of 45mm coming now this week and will have a spair set of springs so if u still need rears pm me buddy

Coog

Out of interest, what did your rears look like? Like my old ones or the eibachs?

Only went for a 20mm drop myself (or whatever the pro kit is over a stock FR+), too much of a ***** haha

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I am not certain but plain doesnt look right. If the circumference at the top is wrong where it mounts to the bush or spring plate that surely has to be incorrect as there is nothing stopping it slipping off. Had a similar problem with mine on the front of a mk3 golf. Send a pic to retailer/manufacturer and hopefully they can sort it out asap although i had to wait a month for mine.

Coog

Turns out that these were actually springs from the 4wd model. Eibach had picked the wrong items and sent them out.

I now have to start all over again. Raging.

At least I know that I wasn't being dumb lol

Thanks for the help guys.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Glad you've got the correct springs coming.........I got a set on my FR TDI, takes a bit of gettin use to but once they settled in the car feels great :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members