Electric mirrors question

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
When I am adjusting my drivers mirror the passenger one also moves. It never used to do this. When the passenger one is adjusted the drivers one doesn't.

Is this a mode that it has gone in to (bit like the dual climate adjusting) or is is faulty?

Tell

Staff member
Sounds faulty to me, like the switch in the central column being dirty, rather than some esoterics software glitch. May be the insultation on a wire around the switch connector has retracted so you're powering up both sides via a short circuit ?. I'll put my money on faulty connection.

Edit although if it's an esoteric switch with electronic gubbins in it... then it could be that. You'd only know by looking at it, pulling wires off and that's where I sit back and let someone else do it :). LOL.

Last edited:

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
I've heard of this before - along the lines of it being a "convenience function". Does it move in a useful way?
I don't think I adjust mine often enough to notice but I'll have a look tonight. My guess is that it's meant to be like that rather than a fault, how you explain the change I'm not sure.

Jon

Tell

Staff member
Well unless this is something they introduced since 2004, I can't see how it can be that convenient if the mirrors move together.... ;). Tall / short / seat height, seat position forward or backwards it's not going to work. I could see you could have presets for different drivers as to where the seat was positioned but other than that it doesn't make sense, least to me.

Tell

Staff member
We need Klawits ;)... I must say I never adjust mine unless I've accidentally knocked the switch whilst folding them in, pulling left or right. I was pretty sure that pushing to the right does the right and left to the left. Got me slippers on so I'm not going out yet to try it yet :). The theory being that the R control also moves the left.... or in Klawit's case the L moves the right - LOL.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Suprised you are not aware of this one Tell, it has been discussed too many times to mention. The idea is that you set the drivers side mirror for normal driving then switch to the passenger side and set for normal drivng again, from then on when you want to adjust the mirrors to say look at the kerb when you are parking or look at the white lines in a car park you select the drivers mirror and both mirrors move in unison so you can see the ground on both sides. Once finished just move them both back up at the same time simple !

Seat have had this facility on their cars for many years so it isn't a new feature unique to the Altea.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi Tell ... hello guys,

aceman won :clap: ... as I was a little late today ;)

It's just as he says: convenience feature

... thou some say it's a pity it won't move a bit down automatically when reversing (other VAG models have this but needs to be combined with seat-memory)
... to tell you the truth, I never even think about changing the mirrors' angles when pulling back, too time consuming ;)

greets ... Klaus

Tell

Staff member
Aceman, my first VW family car so these little secrets that are in the brand I don't know about if they are not in the manual and I'm not told :). I read the manual tonight and twiddled but couldn't post back since the board was down. It actually says do the passenger side first then the drivers side, your backwards !. Well it says L and then R, so I assume that got translated correctly for right hand drive.

I did notice that they moved in unison, but basically I'm not convinced that my drivers side isn't sticking now, so I pushed it back by hand [in]. So that's how you see the kerb, I un buckle and suspend myself across the passenger seat since that odd 1 " away from the kerb can make the difference in London whether you are side swiped and ££££ of damage or not.

Like Klawit I probably can't be bothered with moving them.

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Thanks for the replies.

I though it may be a feature as when the driver's moves in, so does the passenger, which makes sense.

I am sure it never did it before, but thinking about it, it would be hard to notice as I would be watching the drivers one, and get that right so would not notice the passenger one moving. Then do the passenger which does it on its own.

Tell

Staff member
It all seems a bit odd to me the mirror arrangements. You do the left first as the manual says, and only the left moves, well for me. Then you do the right and the left also moves. Given you don't need to be precise about the left may be it's not a problem.

After I'd handed over the cheque when I first bought the car, got the keys and given instructions, the mirrors was the first thing I was taught, so may be that may be why since they are idosyncratic in how to adjust them. That the right control moves the left.

Tell

Staff member
That's not what the 2004 Altea manual says. Makes more sense doing left then the right as the manual says since the left side takes off when you do the right and you need the right side more precise. I never adjust mine unless I've been careless and knocked it out whilst retracting the mirrors.... why I didn't know the two were inter connected.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Deffo drivers side first otherwise after adjusting the passenger side first adjustment of drivers side would put the passenger side out of alighnment. (hope you can understand that I was getting confused myself writing it)

I think as you say Tell the instructions in the manual have gone abit scew in the translation, maybe if they used Passenger/Drivers instead of Left/Right then they could avoid the confusion.

Tell

Staff member
Thought I was right Aceman re the manual.

I'll have to have another twiddle to see what it really does or leave it alone. I wasn't convinced that in the 27 months I've had it, the motor to pull back the mirror on the driver side isn't working now... without this conversation I'd have been none the wiser. I just pushed the mirror back in and re-adjusted it again.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.