electric schematics needed for 1.4

devilifrit

im looking for advice on where to find electric schematics for my ibiza i.4 r reg apart from haynes manual im needing a more detailed one

devilifrit

im needing to trace my wiring so that i can find the fault as i think its an electrical fault thats preventing my car starting

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Look up "schematic" in a dictionary - www.dictionary.com comes up with the following definition:
A structural or procedural diagram, especially of an electrical or mechanical system
A schematic will not show you cable routing. Sorry to be anal about engineering terms, but i'm an engineer...

AFAIK, there's no readily available info that will directly tell you how the cables are routed in the car, which I assume is what you want to know. Easiest way is to locate one end of a wire (which shouldn't be too difficult - just find what it's connected to), identify the cable colour (cable colours are marked on the Haynes schematic IIRC) and then chase it back through the loom to the other end - and you should be able to figure out where the other end is from the schematic. The loom will be bundled up, but you should be able to see where the cable you're interested in leaves the loom to connect to what its' supposed to. If you really feel the urge, you can cut the bundled loom open, but you're leaving yourself open to a whole world of hurt in future if you do. It's a ballache for sure, but it's the only way of doing it that I know of.

devilifrit

thanks for your reply #4 im really starting to hate this car

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
have you had the car checked over for
1. ignition ring
2 tried the spare key
3 does everything else work bar ignition

does it turn over and fire but no idle, have you checked fuses etc?

devilifrit

it turns over but will not start and i dont have a spare key yes every thing bar ignition works

devilifrit

hi stoney yes getting fuel can smell it when i try to turn it over and the plugs smell of fuel

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Check you're getting a spark. If not, check the ignition system methodically. Common points (sorry - that wasn't intentional...) of failure are the coil, HT lead from coil to distributor, distributor cap, rotor arm and plug leads (HT from distributor cap to plug).

However, getting a spark is only half the story. The spark has to happen at the right time. Distributor firmly clamped? Timing set up correctly?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.