Electric sunroof ST - panoramic roof?

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
I love the pano roof.
Definitely a must.
Pano roofs have had many problems with cracking/faults (use good it's a problem across many brands) and they also increase wind/weather noise as well as reduce headroom because of the motors.

Great idea in principle, but I din't want one after doing some research.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Pano roofs have had many problems with cracking/faults (use good it's a problem across many brands) and they also increase wind/weather noise as well as reduce headroom because of the motors.

Great idea in principle, but I din't want one after doing some research.

Online reviews suggest headroom is not a problem unless passengers are very tall. Will only have kids in back mostly.

I took out extended warranty as so much tech and I expect to keep this car a while.

I am reminded of an old bloke down the pub though who used to work in a dealership and he didn’t want any gadgets in his car. Even electric windows. Just something else to go wrong in his opinion!

Hopefully I don’t have a problem but you only live once. My last leon had about 4 issues in the first 6 months mostly minor. All sorted without fuss under warranty.

Reactions: Brooster89

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Online reviews suggest headroom is not a problem unless passengers are very tall. Will only have kids in back mostly.

I took out extended warranty as so much tech and I expect to keep this car a while.

I am reminded of an old bloke down the pub though who used to work in a dealership and he didn’t want any gadgets in his car. Even electric windows. Just something else to go wrong in his opinion!

Hopefully I don’t have a problem but you only live once. My last leon had about 4 issues in the first 6 months mostly minor. All sorted without fuss under warranty.
That's a terrible example, I love technology, but the thought of having a lot of heavy glass above me that could crack or break unnerves me and from the reports I have read, problems with them are not uncommon. Roofs have been reported as exploding and shattering https://www.google.com/search?ei=3v....gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i22i30.VS17XYkeZ9M

Structural integrity is also affected vs metal roofs so can you imagine the potential negative effects in a crash? Eek. Then you need to factor in that in increasingly hot Summers they will act like a giant greenhouse and magnify the amount of heat that enters the car meaning it is harder to cool down and maintain temperature. To me, they are cosmetic and impractical additions to a car.

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
I have to say that I have doubts about panoramic roofs.

On the other hand I do like the conventional smaller sized ones.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
That's a terrible example, I love technology, but the thought of having a lot of heavy glass above me that could crack or break unnerves me and from the reports I have read, problems with them are not uncommon. Roofs have been reported as exploding and shattering https://www.google.com/search?ei=3v....gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i22i30.VS17XYkeZ9M

Structural integrity is also affected vs metal roofs so can you imagine the potential negative effects in a crash? Eek. Then you need to factor in that in increasingly hot Summers they will act like a giant greenhouse and magnify the amount of heat that enters the car meaning it is harder to cool down and maintain temperature. To me, they are cosmetic and impractical additions to a car.

It's clearly not for you. It wasn't originally on my list. I always wondered about the need for a sunroof if a car has climate control. But, I like the extra light in the cabin, even if it's not necessarily going to be fully open much. It's the first car I bought with a sunroof.
The proportion of problematic sunroofs is really small. And a shattered roof seems to be very rare.
If it's really hot in the car, I'd expect that opening the pano roof wide (perhaps with the windows open too) would quickly reduce the heat.
Each to their own. Apparently, not all insurance companies treat pano roofs as glass cover so something I'll check when I insure.
Admittedly, if it did happen I wouldn't be happy but I'd expect insurance or warranty would cover most issues, in the unlikely event of an issue.
It may have been a poor example, but the principle remains. But everyone will have their own agenda. I'd disagree that reports are not uncommon - it's statistically very rare, and some of the reported figures cover 25 years. And countries with very different climates and standards.

Brooster89

Oct 13, 2018
I love the pano roof.
Definitely a must.
Agree. Looks great and provides some much needed light into what is quite a dark cabin. Kids love it too. Haven't had any problems with mine so far and my previous car also had a Pano with no problems. Can't wait for the summer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise