Electric tailgate issues - not always working

Miller888

Jun 6, 2022
Hi all,

I couldn’t find a thread about this, but if there is one please add the link Below.

Ive noticed that the electric tailgate only works 20% of the time when I try to open it with the sensors. Anyone else experienced issues?

Thanks

Si

Reactions: Fencer60

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Sorry, I don’t know the answer to your tailgate issue but It might be worth doing a wider internet search and also include other Seat or VAG models with electric tailgates to see if possible causes for faulty opening might also be relevant to your car.

Here are links to a couple of the search results from doing a Google search on ‘Seat electric tailgate malfunction’. Searching on VAG, VW or Audi instead of Seat is likely to produce other search results too that might be the same as the issue you have.

Reactions: Miller888

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
I ignored the instruction to wave your foot back and forth because it hardly ever worked, but if I swipe my foot from side to side it works about 90% of the time.
This is what I do too, and in the left side of the bumper around the tailpipe - not in the middle.
Haven't quite gotten the technique down to it being reliable yet :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone located the actual sensors? I've been trying to find them to go at this more systematically.

Miller888

Jun 6, 2022
I was looking this morning and couldn’t see anything, wondered if it was dirty and that might be an issue with it.

Manual adds no value that I could find for it

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
Mine works fine, obviously u need your key on you and stand close to the bumper. But works probably 95% of the time.

I have more issues shutting it. Had about four occasions where it won't shut, and I have to close it manually, but keep opening it again. Can get quite embarrassing in my Morrisons car park closing it, the car then unclicks it and it pops up again, rinse and repeat until swearing. My only guess is that it thinks the key is in the car and does it to prevent you locking yourself out.
Anyone else had that?

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Mine works fine, obviously u need your key on you and stand close to the bumper. But works probably 95% of the time.

I have more issues shutting it. Had about four occasions where it won't shut, and I have to close it manually, but keep opening it again. Can get quite embarrassing in my Morrisons car park closing it, the car then unclicks it and it pops up again, rinse and repeat until swearing. My only guess is that it thinks the key is in the car and does it to prevent you locking yourself out.
Anyone else had that?
I think I've taken your missing 5% as that is all mine will work. I've given up using it as well as KESSY most of the time as I have to have the key in my hand anyway for that to work so keyless is pointless.

Tell

Staff member
I ignored the instruction to wave your foot back and forth because it hardly ever worked, but if I swipe my foot from side to side it works about 90% of the time.
If it like the Ateca it's a kick in the middle and step back or sideways. It needs to know you have moved out of the way. Kick your foot underneath without breaking the Kessy proximity means it won't open.

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
I think I've taken your missing 5% as that is all mine will work. I've given up using it as well as KESSY most of the time as I have to have the key in my hand anyway for that to work so keyless is pointless.
Sounds like the battery in the key fob, or faulty fob. Does the second key do it?

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
If it like the Ateca it's a kick in the middle and step back or sideways. It needs to know you have moved out of the way. Kick your foot underneath without breaking the Kessy proximity means it won't open.
Ooohhh, right. Makes sense it uses Kessy for proximity.
Will try today