Electrics question

Sep 1, 2020
Hi all,

I was doing some work on my car today and needed to have the door open for a long period of time so disconnected the negative battery terminal to prevent draining the battery. However when I was reinstalling the negative battery terminal cable, some sparks came from the terminal. I understand electrics but I'm not particularly keen on them, so can someone please confirm that what I'm doing is right and everything is safe, just to give me some peace of mind?

I'm assuming the reason for the spark is just because I'm completing the circuit again and some things have a small draw such as the alarm and clock, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi all,

I was doing some work on my car today and needed to have the door open for a long period of time so disconnected the negative battery terminal to prevent draining the battery. However when I was reinstalling the negative battery terminal cable, some sparks came from the terminal. I understand electrics but I'm not particularly keen on them, so can someone please confirm that what I'm doing is right and everything is safe, just to give me some peace of mind?

I'm assuming the reason for the spark is just because I'm completing the circuit again and some things have a small draw such as the alarm and clock, etc.?

Thank you in advance.
You have answered your own question

Reactions: georgec10

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
It's not necessary to disconnect the battery in these circumstances. The electrics automatically shut off after the door has been open for approx. 10 minutes.

Sep 1, 2020
It's not necessary to disconnect the battery in these circumstances. The electrics automatically shut off after the door has been open for approx. 10 minutes.
Okay thank you, I was under the impression having the doors open would drain the battery but glad I know this for future reference!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.