Engine Flap Underneath Car

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
I have a Seat Leon Cupra (Diesel), and recently the cover underneth the engine on the underside of the car has become loose. Someone told me that this is a common problem on Leons and that it will come off no matter how many times you screw it back up.

Does anyone know if this can just be taken off? Is it really needed?

Thanks.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
mines been off for 2 years with no problems mate

Thanks mate. A friend of a friend is a car mechanic, and he advised me that it's not really needed and it'll just cause me problems. So i'm having it taken off today.

Thanks.

dh00001

Aug 11, 2009
i broke mine on a speed bump after it dropped a little. had no issues without it. just less scraping!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
It keeps water out of the engine bay and smooths the flor of air under the car.

The reason it drops is because the screws are low quality as is the thin metal clips they screw into. There are also pushfit washers on the side trays that come loose, you can pick these up for pennies form your dealer.

Replace all the side tray washers and make your own metal clips to replace the factory ones and use decent threaded screws to hold the tray on with.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Ive come across them where a guys has fallen off doing 70 and asked me to refit it, tricky when its broken in all the mounting places, on most cars they screw directly to the cassis or subframe hence why they never come off, vw is just a shoddy design which all the front mounting points of the traay are on plastic.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
It keeps water out of the engine bay and smooths the flor of air under the car.

The reason it drops is because the screws are low quality as is the thin metal clips they screw into. There are also pushfit washers on the side trays that come loose, you can pick these up for pennies form your dealer.

Replace all the side tray washers and make your own metal clips to replace the factory ones and use decent threaded screws to hold the tray on with.

So you reckon it should be kept on? Mine was hanging off in two different places and the holes for the screws had ripped, hence leaving nowhere for the screws to go.

What's the best way to keep it secure?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Best way is whatever works depending how and where it has ripped. I ended up with an assortment of cable ties and bolts but the side trays on mine were too far gone. Had to take the whole thing off at the finish, if i'd fixed the problem with the side trays sooner, the main undertray would have been fine.

I sold the car soon after.

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
worth a read.

Hmm. Contrasting views! Just read through that thread and now I'm not so sure whether having it taken off was such a good idea after all. I hardly hit the motorway so I don't know how it'd affect the performance of the car.

The only thing I noticed was that the steering feels lighter, haven't heard any whistling or handling issues. I still have the plastic cover and all the screws for it, so might get it put back on at some point.

It's so annoying!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Its so easy to damage it and so poorly held in place i can see why people run without it.

If your steering is lighter, that could be less down force and possibly even grip. It wouldnt suprise me if it affected MPG too.

Personally if its repairable id cable tie it. If the holes are shot you could make new ones.
(mines in 3 pieces, been off a few times... sounds like the cars tearing itself apart when its dragging :headhurt:)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
mine is held on with around 20 cable ties and a few screws.. it stayed on at 150mph in germany so can't be too bad!! :D

RVP09

Sep 24, 2009
mine is held on with around 20 cable ties and a few screws.. it stayed on at 150mph in germany so can't be too bad!! :D

Right. That is it. I've decided i'm gonna get it put back on, just to be on the safe side - even if means having n number cable ties and screws!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise