Engine Oil Spec - 1.5TSI Petrol (2020 Ateca)

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Instead of buying an overpriced top up bottle of engine oil from my main dealer, what's the equivalent spec that I can get off the shelf from Castrol, Mobil etc at Halfords or similar?

Assuming it's a 5/30 fully synth, but I'm not sure what all the various VW codes in the handbook equate to.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2021
Hello! I have a 2.0 TSI 190hp Leon and use Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 XTL 5W-30. It’s the right spec and I’ve been led to believe it’s higher quality than the Mobil 1 or quantum oils.

The Fuchs website has an oil checker so you can check the exact oil for your car.

It’s like 25quid for 5L on Amazon, so not any more expensive than any other oil.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crossthreaded

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Instead of buying an overpriced top up bottle of engine oil from my main dealer, what's the equivalent spec that I can get off the shelf from Castrol, Mobil etc at Halfords or similar?

Assuming it's a 5/30 fully synth, but I'm not sure what all the various VW codes in the handbook equate to.

Thanks.
Look at Seat Parts Direct (sponsor)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The 1.5TSI is a Miller cycle engine and uses some daft oil.

off the top of my head i want to say its 0W20

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Hello! I have a 2.0 TSI 190hp Leon and use Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 XTL 5W-30. It’s the right spec and I’ve been led to believe it’s higher quality than the Mobil 1 or quantum oils.

The Fuchs website has an oil checker so you can check the exact oil for your car.

It’s like 25quid for 5L on Amazon, so not any more expensive than any other oil.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly the oil I use in my 1 litre 95hp Ibiza ST. She's now just over 5 years old and due a service right now and there's a 5 litre container of it sitting in the garage waiting for me to change it. Last year was her first year out of warranty and I nearly went the "default" route of using the Castrol product as recommended. However I didn't like that it came in a 4 litre container - so just about right for filling the sump but leaving virtually nothing over for top ups if needed. To top it all off 4 litres of the Castrol (an excellent oil by the way) was going for a similar price to 5 litres of many of the competitive brands. I've used Fuchs on quite a number of occasions before in other family vehicles (there are six) and all are going well - most notably my younger boy's Astra which is now going over 120,000 miles - and have no reason to doubt that it's anything other than a premium quality product.

The Ibiza though is a small turbo petrol engine, exactly the sort of unit which will put great demands on the oil, so I wrote to a number of oil manufacturers and suppliers, like Opie and Power Enhancer etc, and the Fuchs people in particular were very informative and helpful. I'd been angling towards using one of their high quality Race Pro "truly synthetic" oils which would have really cost but they advised me to use the GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30 so I took their advice and the engine is running beautifully with no problems - just as you would hope and expect to be the case..

By the way, Just in case you're unaware, the TPS range of Quantum Branded oils seems, from a Fuchs press release I found, to be now supplied by Fuchs - previously by Castrol I understand? Provenance like that is good enough for me! I also find there is invariably a deal available, from a reputable source (which I think is very important) on the Fuchs products and I don't think I've ever had to pay retail for it. I've a container of GT1 5W-40 waiting to go in the Panda just now as well! Another very interesting point to take note of is that you won't see the word "Synthetic" either on their containers or in their advertising (although Opie do use it on their site). Interestingly this is because the German legal definition of a "synthetic" oil is very much stricter than ours and virtually none of the oils commonly sold as "synthetic" today meet this definition so they just don't use it. Initially, not seeing the word "synthetic" quite put me off, but now I know why, and having had lots of communication with Fuchs themselves and the very helpful people at Opie and others, I'm not in the slightest concerned. I'd go out of my way to buy the Fuchs brand now - Honest!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.