100th thread about oil recommendations

Oct 10, 2019
Greetings, considering my Cupra has 230k km /143k miles and I will soon be getting a +30-40hp remap, what 5w40 oil brand do you recommend? One of the better options I have in my local shop are:
5W40 MOBIL Super 3000
5W40 Shell Helix Ultra
5W40 Castrol Magnatec C3
5W40 Castrol EDGE TITANIUM Turbo Diesel FST

I think all of these oils meet at least VW 502/505 specifications,but I was wondering does anyone have any preferences between those? I wanted to get the 5W40 Castrol EDGE TITANIUM Turbo Diesel FST which also has VW 502/505.01 spec but I heard that TD oils tend to foam in higher revs if used in a petrol engine so now I am aiming for Castrol Magnatec C3 which seems to do better in some tests online. Another note is that until now, car was serviced with Castrol Edge 5w30 LL with VW 504/507 long service interval spec but considering the mileage, some oil consumption(it doesn't smoke and doesn't have any leaks) and soon a remap, I plan on getting a higher viscosity oil. Also I am living in a climate where there is rarely under 0c in winter. Update: I checked the manual, I can use 502.00 oil without problem if it is being serviced at least every 10k km,which it was,even with the LL oil. So Shell Helix Ultra or Castrol Magnatec?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.