Engine stop-start; best practice

ekosheren

Apr 11, 2016
Hi there,

Just picked up a new Leon FR 184 in Pirineos Grey, and loving it. It's the manual 6 speed, with the engine stop-start function, and I'm wondering though what the best practice is when using it, in terms of clutch, gear box and engine wear? My last car did not have this function.

For example, in heavy motorway traffic, when I am moving and stopping a lot, is it better to just switch it off? I guess it depends on whether I am stopped for a longer period, but if it is short, like stopped no more than 3 or so seconds, would it be better to switch it off?

With it on in these conditions, the starter motor is literally kicking-in every few seconds, and I'm wondering if that is any good for it or the engine?

Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks for the help! :)

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
don't actually know the technical answer, although I think this has been discussed before, but it does seem as though it's a choice between excessive wear on some components or increased emissions.
are you a bad person?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
In my last 2 cars with it on I've always turned it off in really heavy traffic it's just annoying otherwise.

I tend to leave it on to stop start in most 'A' road light traffic situations to kick in at lights and that but sometimes turn it off when I want to drive a bit more spirited.

I doubt these days it would do that much damage, as OP says it's personal preference really. It won't kick in unless the engine is warm enough and all the other conditions are met anyway.

Last edited:

ekosheren

Apr 11, 2016
Thanks guys. Glad to hear that the parts and components are indeed designed for much more punishment than normal, particularly the starter motor. I think I'll turn it off during heavy traffic and see how it works out.

Cheers!

philw51

Aug 19, 2015
Nth Yorkshire
I also just let the technology get on with it. I have the DSG box too but I don't find it any problem. The only thing is that with the DSG box it only works while the brake pedal is depressed meaning that the brake lights are on, but looking around at traffic lights 90% of others also have their brake lights on.
My previous car also had the start/stop system but it was much less obtrusive as it used the alternator to restart the engine which seemed to be much smoother and quieter. But different manufacturers have different ideas.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I think there's more people with brake lights on due to this or also more and more cars with electric handbrakes.. Or just everyone wanting a quick getaway because they think they are the next biggest f1 driver

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I use it at lights when the engine is warmed up but don't bother when in slow moving traffic.
There will come a point where the car will disable the stop start if used enough times when charge starts getting low.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Iirc (and this is pretty vague) I seem to remember reading somewhere - possibly the manual, that start stop is only beneficial in consumption terms if stationary for over 9 seconds (don't ask). I think it takes into account the slight extra fuel that's used to reignite the engine...and I guess it helps for less wear and tear.
Either way I only used start stop when the engine's warm enough and that if the traffic situation will have a long enough pause to make it worthwhile switching off, so never in start stop traffic mostly in heavy traffic and traffic lights.

zzachjoy

Mar 7, 2016
I'm sure I saw on one of the other forums that there is a second start up motor for the stop-start. Whether this is right or not I don't know.

AndyTSI

Apr 2, 2016
Personal choice I think also, it can be very annoying in heavy traffic as mentioned above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Not sure if it's just the differing engines/cars, but stop/start on my Leon (petrol, DSG) starts the engine as soon as you release the footbrake; on a diesel DSG Golf it didn't restart until you pressed the accelerator which WAS annoying. S/S got turned off pretty quick on that which defeats the reason for it..

ActionScript

Mar 10, 2016
Not sure if it's just the differing engines/cars, but stop/start on my Leon (petrol, DSG) starts the engine as soon as you release the footbrake; on a diesel DSG Golf it didn't restart until you pressed the accelerator which WAS annoying. S/S got turned off pretty quick on that which defeats the reason for it..

Most DSG cars these days with stop/start will have the engine kick back into life as soon as you release the brake. For manual cars, it's when you push down on the clutch.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
I have it permanently utrned off every time I get in the car. Only turn it back on when I know I will be standing at the lights for a while.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Personally I keep it on and act as though it's not there. This leads to multiple unnecessary and ridiculously brief restarts that would most certainly lead to wear of the parts involved but that's not my problem! The car is under warranty and if it fails, then it is VAG who will suffer. In other words, I act passive-aggressive on the system and that's entirely on purpose :D Just because manufacturers have decided to put some overcomplicated system with dubious advantages on economy doesn't mean I'll have to change my way of driving the car. Quite on the contrary. If that would lead to failures and repairs for VAG - great! They will decide if they have to put it next time and if it should be more advanced than that.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Personally I keep it on and act as though it's not there. This leads to multiple unnecessary and ridiculously brief restarts that would most certainly lead to wear of the parts involved but that's not my problem! The car is under warranty and if it fails, then it is VAG who will suffer. In other words, I act passive-aggressive on the system and that's entirely on purpose :D Just because manufacturers have decided to put some overcomplicated system with dubious advantages on economy doesn't mean I'll have to change my way of driving the car. Quite on the contrary. If that would lead to failures and repairs for VAG - great! They will decide if they have to put it next time and if it should be more advanced than that.

If say the starter motor wore out, say from lots of town driving, would VAG replace it under warranty or would they simply say it's wear and tear so not covered under warranty ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members