Engine stutter

murts

Mar 31, 2007
Just done 1000 miles in the 140TDI and I'm a little concerned over a slight engine stutter. On a 100 mile motorway trip it will stutter (miss/cough) every 20 minutes or so. It doesn't sound much but you end up just waiting for it to happen so it's very annoying. I've also had this with non motorway driving. I was going to wait until a couple of thousand miles before going back to the dealer but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or happens to know what the problem is.

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Just done 1000 miles in the 140TDI and I'm a little concerned over a slight engine stutter. On a 100 mile motorway trip it will stutter (miss/cough) every 20 minutes or so. It doesn't sound much but you end up just waiting for it to happen so it's very annoying. I've also had this with non motorway driving. I was going to wait until a couple of thousand miles before going back to the dealer but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or happens to know what the problem is.

Get the same, wouldn't know if it was every 20 minutes though. (seems more intermittent tbh)
Same engine with 11,000 miles on the clock, done it since new dealer wouldn't be able to diagnose it unless it happend while they were test driving it I'm guessing
One of these things along with the noise at low revs (1500 to 1900) that annoys & spoils an otherwise really nice car

murts

Mar 31, 2007
Well if it's still doing it on yours after 11,000 then I might aswell take it in to the dealer now, at least I can register the fact I'm not happy. I will be seriously unhappy if I'm just fobbed off, I've paid a lot of money and is it too much to ask for an engine that doesn't cough intermitently.

Xe

You need a ECU update, probably has a software glitch or error causing one of the pistons to miss fire. Take it to your local Seat dealer should only take a few minutes to sort.

Last edited by a moderator:

begbie

Sep 4, 2006
murts,

Let's know how you get on at the dealers. I have the same problem although I have only noticed it a few times over the past few months and I've now got 5000miles on the clock. It was a lot more frequent in the first 1000 miles or so.

Monkeyhanger

Ive now done 2,500 miles in mine and the problem has been there since the start. Its not a big problem but an irritant.
I get this 'stutter' or 'misfire' thing at around 2,400 revs, not when im accelerating or with my foot off the throttle. It only happens when im either maintaining the revs or easing off. I can just about predict when its going to happen.
Im sure I saw another thread on this but cant find it. I wonder how many people get the problem as I describe and if they got it sorted at the dealer.

Crazyhazy

I get total loss of power for a split second in 2nd gear its happened twice.

murts

Mar 31, 2007
Monkeyhanger, I think you are onto something there. Yesterday I did a 500 mile round trip an realised that, as you said, if you hover around the 2,500 revs you will get the stutter quite often, like every couple of minutes.
I was doing this is 6th (80mph) but I've also got it in other gears, all around the 2,500 revs mark.

I'm taking the car in on Friday so I'll make sure they know that this is not an isolated problem.

langy

Aug 9, 2006
The 'stutter' is something i have noticed as well (more so since reading this thread).

Let us know what happens once the dealer has investigated.

goalie

I had the same and mentioned it on its 10k service, they couldn't find anything but after that i've not seen it since and now have 15k on.

I reckon there was an update they did that fixed it at the service

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi all, i am experiencing this stutter while maintaing a steady speed, cant yet predict the point it will happen, but it happens frequently, three/four times or more on a 30mile trip to work. Just wondering if anyone has got this sorted?

HarryKatinnen

I get the occasional blip on my TDI 140 sport usually at motorway cruising speed but never really noticed the frequency. Interestingly I first noticed a similar thing on a Pug 307 HDI 110 I made the mistake of owning a few years back. Happened at night a few times and even headlights appeared to dim momentarily. Reported it to dealer but nothing was ever found so assumed it was just down to the poor build quality

The fact that it also happens on the Seat but with no apparent faults present suggests it may be a characteristic of the direct injection engine:think:

murts

Mar 31, 2007
Just got back from the dealers......

Spoke to a knowledgeable technician who says he's seen this problem before and has solved it with ECU updates. Only problem is the latest update disk hasn't arrived yet, should have come last month, but when it does he's confident that it will solve the problem.

He reckons the ECU glitch is a know problem but not that common.

I'd recommend anyone who has a similar problem get it down to a dealer for an ECU update.

The good news is that ended up getting myself a nice new armrest fitted while the car was in.

I'll post an update after the latest updates have been applied.

murts

Mar 31, 2007
Took the car back for an ECU update on Friday, no good, within a mile of leaving the dealers I'd managed to get the engine to stutter. Went back to the dealers and took the technician out to demonstrate, managed to do it twice within five minutes. It's now booked back in for a couple of days to try solve, he went on about turbo boost release or something like that, I'm not car technical.

The dealership and the technician have been great so far, hopefully this can be sorted.

murts

Mar 31, 2007
Hi 'Space Coyote', I was wondering about getting a remap done to try solve the problem, good to know that it doesn't.

leapy

Oct 10, 2006
N.IRELAND
Mines had a similar problem, which a new flywheel did not fix and after a week with dealer and me telling them it needed a software update it was sorted.so if update does`nt sort it ask about flywheel and known probs with broken wires/bad connections.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
We have been suffering with a lot of stutterings and missfires on the 2.0 PD engines in the VW's recently. Most have been tied down to blocked fuel filters (dont like bio fuel or cheap diesel it would seem) and a few lift pump failures. The engine will run without the fuel of the lift pump but under load the engine stutters as it cant get enough fuel to the engine.

Also doing at least four updates a day at the moment but we are online with Gekko to the factory so dont have to wait for disks luckily.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members