Engine Swap!!!

jlister1993

Im thinking of changing my seat arosa 1.4 8v to a 1.4 16v, anybody know if i can just swap it or would i have to change gearbox etc??

Why not go bigger and better with the hassle. Your insurance will go up more so than just buying a 16v car anyway. But to answer the question you will need the whole engine with the harness and ecu at least. Gearbox should be the same but I could be wrong.

jlister1993

well there is that but its insuring it, i was just gonna see if i could do a straight swap and stick with the insurance ive got just hopefully not crash the car haha

jlister1993

i priced one up on insurance, it came back like £4500 lol im paying £2500 now for the 8v, thats why i was thinking of just swapping it all over from one car to the other

jlister1993

Does anyone know if the gearboxs are the same in 16v as the 8v?

jlister1993

yeah i know it would, i dont know whether im gonna but i still wanna know about the gearboxs lol

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
What are the engine codes of the two engines? A friend of mine swapped out the engine in his birds arosa and a doner car and he ran into some problems, I'll give him a text in the morning for you as he's a bit of a 'rosa genius :)

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Most used a 085 style gearbox, so I'd assume the gearbox would fit. It would be geared slightly different to the 16v setup (although depends which 16v engine you go for.....)

jlister1993

Yeah but do you think it would work like, because trying to find a gearbox for one of them would probably be quite hard.

It would work but the ratio will be shorter. For instance the 8v may be geared for a top speed of around 125mph for example but the 16vwill be geared for 150mph for example. All it will do I's have the same gearbox characteristics your used to with just more power essentially. Good for acceleration tho :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.