Engine swap

Ojs360

Jul 19, 2020
I’ve got the 1.0 95 tsi engine, wanna do an engine swap. Anyone know what goes straight in? was thinking the 2.0tsi Polo engine? Or maybe an Audi engine? The car is absolutely gutless. I’ve had it remapped but I’m not gonna get much more of a 1.0l Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
I also have this engine and think it fits it’s purpose, sounds fun and seems peppy enough for me.

The only advice I have after owning a few performance vag cars is - don’t build a car you can buy. I’ve seen loads of people turning their A3’s into S3’s, sinking thousands of pounds, when they could have just bought an S3 for what they spent. The problem is unless you spend all the time to part out the car afterwards, you’ll lose money hand over fist.

Not to mention issues people have and parts will be harder to find rather than just giving your reg to check compatibility.

Reactions: SRGTD

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I've run a 1.0/110 for 3 years and if I actually had any spare money to trade it in, it would be long gone. Possibly the least enjoyable power unit I've ever driven in 40 years.

Ojs360

Jul 19, 2020
I've run a 1.0/110 for 3 years and if I actually had any spare money to trade it in, it would be long gone. Possibly the least enjoyable power unit I've ever driven in 40 years.
Yeah exactly! This is why I wanna shove a 2.0l or a 1.5 in it

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
I would say that 1.5 is not worth hassle with swap. Maybe with the remap and all eco-nonsense out it could get alive. In stock form it's "just barely enough" to make the car move. And it's still scares me, when it's not gaining speed on high speed overtakes. Cupra never does that, even it is slower in the city.

My car is 1.5tsi from the factory. Would say 200hp is more realistic number for this chassis, but I still chose ibiza over polo gti, because it lighter, has smaller brakes, manual gearbox, cheaper parts (less unique P/Ns) and rubber. So much less money for almost the same. And also because I have other, analog cars, for oomph :).

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I also have this engine and think it fits it’s purpose, sounds fun and seems peppy enough for me.

The only advice I have after owning a few performance vag cars is - don’t build a car you can buy. I’ve seen loads of people turning their A3’s into S3’s, sinking thousands of pounds, when they could have just bought an S3 for what they spent. The problem is unless you spend all the time to part out the car afterwards, you’ll lose money hand over fist.

Not to mention issues people have and parts will be harder to find rather than just giving your reg to check compatibility.
^This.

There are also the insurance implications to consider. Insurers are likely to want a significantly higher premium for a 1.0 Ibiza with a 2.0 TSI Polo GTI engine than they’d want for a 2.0 Polo GTI as a 1.0 Ibiza with an engine swap to 2.0 litres is a modified vehicle. Some insurers may not be willing to provide cover at all.

In addition to the engine, other upgrades such as brakes and suspension would required. By the time all necessary upgrades are made, the overall cost could be significant.

@Ojs360 - I’m assuming you’re not leasing your car or buying it under a PCP. If you are, then the terms and conditions under the lease / PCP contract document may not allow modifications, and if it does, then it’s highly likely the car would need to be returned back to factory spec for when it’s handed back at the end of the lease term or if it’s handed back at the end of the PCP. Removing all the modifications and reinstalling the original parts would involve further expense on your part.

If you own the car, when the time comes to sell it you may find many potential buyers could be put off buying a non-standard car.

Probably a better and cheaper option overall to buy a used Polo GTI or something else with more power as standard if that’s what you want.

Reactions: Mike Coulter

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Alternatively- change it for one of the 1.5 TSI Ibizas and chip that?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.